Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Writing on WWII Shin Gunto tang.

Article about: Could someone help me identifying the writing on this tang of a Shin Gunto sword?

I like your sentiment on appreciating the sword either way! Most of my collection are showato (all but 1) and I love every one of them!

94/98 - I have learned fairly recently that the 98's had slightly thinner tsuba and most have the offset latch button. Of course the 94's came with 2 haikan (belt hanger loops) but the second was removable and today it seems most have gone missing (or were removed by the original officers). So, yours appears to be a 98. The fat seppa (spacers) are often seen on upgraded gunto, so the officer might have paid more for this one! I like the look they give a gunto.

I just realized that I have not posted pictures of the saya and a crucial detail of it is missing .
    Someone scratched a name and a date in it (not sure what to make of it). As the previous owner told me, he bought it from the US, someone here might have seen this before ?
    Grateful if someone has any additional info. I assume the name is the family of the soldier who sent this home...? Was this a common thing to do, scratch into the saya?

Some more shots from the blade itself.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Writing on WWII Shin Gunto tang.  

"Mr. & Mrs. Shalar presented this to Eddy on 15th April 1946 in Shanghai" is how I read it.

I have seen various ways G.I.s put their names on gunto. It's not common, but other examples are out there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3