Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Japanese Army training yearbook

Article about: This is a nice book, it has a layer of rice paper between each page. Appears they have the old style insignia with the numbers on their collars.

Default WW2 Japanese Army training yearbook

This is a nice book, it has a layer of rice paper between each page. Appears they have the old style insignia with the numbers on their collars.WW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbook

It is an album commemorating the deployment of the 2nd Company of the training corps of the Army’s Narashino School in Imperial year 2597 (1937).
    It doesn’t say where they were deployed, but it must obviously be northern China in the area south of the Great Wall.
    The Narashino school was the Army’s chemical warfare school and it is known that the Army used poisonous gasses in China during 1937 - 1938 so members of the school must have been deployed to China to engage in chemical warfare.

I forgot to mention but the star shaped insignia on the cover is for the 教導隊, the NCO training corps so the unit was likely a training unit for prospective NCOs.
    The title says 思ひ出, Memories.

Excellent! Thank you

The probable owner's name ends with ~mori, judging from the seal:

Can anybody make out the first kanji? It's a three-parter kanji -- I think -- that would possibly have a structure similar to. I glanced over a list of 1,000 surnames containing 森 and can't find one that fits the "footprint" (allowing for the way seal scripts are formed).

Just for fun I tried 蘭森 on a Chinese seal generator ... no match!!

-- Guy

I can get you a better picture if you need it?

蘭森 was also my initial impression but if such were the case, it seems that the left and right sides should be a mirror image of one another.
    It’s another thing that will keep me wracking my brains the whole day, which is important when you get old….

Off the topic, I will paste a link to the Japanese Wikipedia article on the Army’s Narashino School here: 陸軍習志野学校 - Wikipedia
    Narashino was also home to the Army’s Cavalry School(陸軍騎兵学校), the 1st Cavalry Brigade as well as the 2nd Railway Regiment and is now the home of the JGSDF’s 1st Parachute Brigade. (One of the old pre-war buildings still remains and houses the Airborne Museum.)

Here's some better pictures.WW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbook

Here's some more pictures.WW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbookWW2 Japanese Army training yearbook

Quote by Akira Komiya View Post
    蘭森 was also my initial impression but if such were the case, it seems that the left and right sides should be a mirror image of one another.
    Akira-san,

I've seen some seal script kanji with the radical reversed just to make the composition fit better (or just artistic license).

I'll probably rack my brain trying hopelessly to find an example ..... what ever would humanity do without Google!!!! (^__^)

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast