Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Japanese Katana

Article about: Hello everyone, what do you think of this katana? In my opinion, it looks legit. Is it a good piece to collect? Thank you for your responses.

Default WW2 Japanese Katana

Hello everyone, what do you think of this katana? In my opinion, it looks legit. Is it a good piece to collect? Thank you for your responses.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Japanese Katana   WW2 Japanese Katana  

WW2 Japanese Katana   WW2 Japanese Katana  

美濃
    Mino
    • Older name for 濃州 Noshu / Gifu
    • Looks like a hint of a 関 Seki stamp just peeking out from under the seppa

氏房
    Ujifusa

安来二号
    Anrai Ni-gō
    Anrai, 2nd Artisan-name
    • Looks like he took a second art name [号, gō] of 安来 Anrai; I cannot find anything about a smith named Anrai who originally was Ujifusa. But I'm no expert!

From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October [1939]
    氏房 篠田 寛 S14.10.26
    Smith name: Ujifusa
    Entered Guild/License: Showa 14 [1939] October 26

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    UJIFUSA (氏房), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Ujifusa” (氏房), real name Shinoda Hiroshi (篠田寛), born May 20th 1912, student of Watanabe Kanenaga (渡辺兼永) and Katō Jumyō (加藤寿命), he worked as a guntō smith, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Third Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Also from Sesko regarding rankings:
    When it comes to gendaitō and especially WWII-era smiths, this publication includes the ranking of about 300 contemporary smiths carried out by Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) in 1942 under the title Seidai Tōshō Iretsu Ichiran (聖代刀匠位列一覧). He introduced seven ranks:

• shinpin no retsu (神品の列) Supreme masterworks
    • kihin-jōi (貴品上位) Superior precious works
    • kihin no retsu (貴品の列) Precious works
    • jōko no jōi (上工の上位) Superior master
    jōkō no retsu (上工の列) Master
    • ryōkō no jōi (良工の上位) Superior skilled artisan
    • ryōkō no retsu (良工の列) Skilled artisan

In addition, also the five ranks and the special rank of the sixth national sword making contest, the Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会), from 1941 are quoted. About 250 swordsmiths were awarded this year and the ranking was as follows:

• tokubetsu meiyo seki (特別名誉席) Special Honor Seat
    • kokukō (国工) First seat, national smith
    • jun-kokukō (準国工) Second seat, associate national smith
    yūshū (優秀) Third seat, superior quality
    • kasaku (佳作) Fourth seat, excellently made
    • shinshin (新進) Fifth seat, up and coming

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

Hi Guy, that is the type of steel that the blade was made from.
    安来二号 = Yasuki ni-gō.
    安来鋼

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Hi Guy, that is the type of steel that the blade was made from.
    安来二号 = Yasuki ni-gō.
    安来鋼
    Thanks a lot, Kiipu!

Here's the English translated page content:

Shimane Prefecture has been a source of high-quality iron sand since ancient times, and tatara iron manufacturing was thriving. Wako refined in this way is known under the brand name of Sakurajirushi.

Before the war, Kisaku Ibe of Yasugi Iron & Steel Joint Stock Company, the predecessor of Proterial (former Hitachi Metals) Yasugi Works, developed the first high-speed tool steel in the East by electric steelmaking using arc discharge with the cooperation of Matsue Electric Light. By doing so, we established a further brand in modern steelmaking.

Currently, it is developed at Hitachi Metals & Metals Research Institute in Yasugi City, Shimane Prefecture, and at the same Yasugi Factory, it is manufactured using cutting-edge technology and tool steel for cutlery , molds , high-performance machinery, etc., which require material strength. It is defined as the name of all representative special steels. These are registered as "YSS Yasugi Hagane" (YSS stands for Yasugi Specialty Steel) .

Tamahagane is produced several times a year in Okuizumo-cho, an area in the same region, as an authentic Japanese steel, using the ancient tatara blowing method, and is distributed to swordsmiths throughout the country as a raw material for Japanese swords .

安来鋼 - Wikipedia
    So would this particular sword have been made of tamahagane?

-- Guy

wow, thanks for your extensive answer, I didn't expect such an elaborate answer, I'll take that as a yes to my question about if it's worth collecting hahaha. The question is if it is worth the 2000€ that the seller asks for it.

2000 is well above the market value. $1,400 USD is the norm. Admittedly, this one has nice fittings, in good condition, but $1,800 is the high end, especially if there is a Seki stamp hidden under the tsuba/seppa set. See if the seller will take them off and show the full bare nakago.

Thanks, I'll try to negotiate