Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 Japanese pay/record book

Article about: I got this yesterday at the same antique shop I got the dog tag from. what does it say about the soldier it belonged to? thank you guys so much for all the help.

Default ww2 Japanese pay/record book

I got this yesterday at the same antique shop I got the dog tag from. what does it say about the soldier it belonged to? thank you guys so much for all the help.
    Last edited by jeeplover; 11-23-2023 at 12:52 AM.

Default Ww2 japanese passbook

I have been reading The Evolution of the Japanese Army Passbook (1871-1945) 
    In post 24 it talks about different features this is a type A-spec passbook. I have included photos of those features. I also have a type B-spec passbook. I also have 2 1916 passbooks as shown in post 15. When time permits i will add photos of those on this post. Hope everyone had a good holiday .
    Last edited by jeeplover; 11-26-2023 at 06:25 AM.

This is my B-spec passbook

Hi Jeeplover - look like 2 interesting service books. I have a few awaiting my attention, but it takes forever trying to read them using kanji dictionaries! My books are mostly earlier, and some have very few entries, just indicating compulsory military service without any action.

Your 2 look as if there could be some interesting entries. The first one looks to have quite a few entries for 1940, Showa 15, and I see Toshite written twice in katakana. Could this be a Japanese place name in Korea or China? The second book service record finishes with an entry dated 19th of September, 1945, with an addition for the next day, the 20th. And some interesting redactions.

I better get on with what I'm supposed to be doing today!

Cheers,

Tony

Here is the first of the two books I have that I believe would be 1916 to 1930 and the reason I say 1916 and not earlier is if you look at post 15 it shows one of the pages that I will show is different than the earlier books. The thing with this book and the other one I will show is I'm not quite sure if their passbooks or reserved books on post 47 Nick shows small writing on the bottom back that indicates it was a reserve book. Mine does not have the writing off to the right

Everything I have to say about this one I said about the earlier one

And here is my private purchase passbook sleeve

トシテ toshite means "as".

I do not like trying to translate guntai techo -- too much handwriting. I'll attempt the main entries such as name, place of birth, etc.; but will draw the line at reading his assignments. These are just too time consuming for someone like me who is not fluent in Japanese.

-- Guy

I just would like you guys to know I have no expectations of anything any help you do give me is always appreciated and I know this is the place to share that kind of stuff so thank you very much for anything you do but please know there are no expectations I know everything done is out of the kindness of your hearts and is voluntary so thank you

Rod
    ?

Hi Jeeplover,

I too collect these booklets. The second from the top is a late war one for a soldier who never left Japan during his enlistment. Copy and paste of what I've found follows, the main entries on his service record page are too indistinct to bother with but this will give you some idea. There is also some extra info on his unit and where it served below that.

建7590 - 8th Signal Regiment (paper is likely glued over his training unit).
    Communications soldier (Last name – first name) 中込 Nakakomi 成夫 Shigeo
    二等兵 Private 2nd Class (Guy would tell you he’s a “private no class”)
    山梨 He was from Yamanashi Prefecture
    Born: Taisho 15... January 1st, 1926

建“Tatsu” is the call sign for the 5th Area Army in Hokkaido
    When the war ended the 8th Signal Regiment, comprised of 1,068 soldiers, was posted in Iwamachi with the 51st Army (51st Army was stationed along the coastline northeast of Tokyo).

When I get some free time I'll try to remember to take a look at the first one. As you probably know all the service info is buried on his service record pages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast