Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Japanese sword help

Article about: Hello, I have been pouring over posts on this website for days now and there is a lot of great information here. I was recently given some WW2 "bring backs" from my deceased Grandf

Default WW2 Japanese sword help

Hello,
    I have been pouring over posts on this website for days now and there is a lot of great information here. I was recently given some WW2 "bring backs" from my deceased Grandfather. I am charged with taking care of these items and passing them to my children, selling is not an option. It seems Japanese swords are fascinating items that require a great deal of knowledge to ID. Any help I can get here is appreciated. My 6 year old says its a Power Ranger sword but I am certain he is mistaken, I am posting a few pics but have a lot more in a dropbox folder if I can post a link to it here. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Rick
    WW2 Japanese sword help
    WW2 Japanese sword help
    WW2 Japanese sword help

Default More pics

More pics. Thanks

WW2 Japanese sword help
    WW2 Japanese sword help
    WW2 Japanese sword help
    WW2 Japanese sword help

One more pic of a piece of cloth tied to one of the loops on the sword

WW2 Japanese sword help

The blade is an older piece mounted in civilian samurai mounts. The signature reads "Inoye Izumi no Kami Kunisada." There were several generations of 17th century Osaka area smiths who used this signature. However, this is a gimei or fake signature done long ago. The piece of cloth has the name and address of the owner of this sword, which was surrendered at the local police station after the end of the war and the American occupation. Welcome to the Forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

What a wonderful heirloom and nice that it's staying in your family.

The surrender tag is to Warrant Writer* (Chief Petty Officer) Okamoto Takeo.

曹長
    Shuukei Hei-Souchou

岡本
    Okamoto Takeo

*下士官 (日本海軍) [Noncommissioned Officer (Japanese Navy)]
    主計兵曹長:Warrant Writer

--Guy

?

Nice piece of history to pass down to your little ones.

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies and great information. Are you telling me the blade was handcrafted in the 17th century??? I really appreciate the information you have given me. I can see this will lead us on the road to learning a great deal more about this sword and the culture that created it. Nothing like Living History for the kids to grab onto. This is even cooler than a "Power Rangers sword".
    Rick

[QUOTE=Raw Power;1047895]Wow! Thanks for the fast replies and great information. Are you telling me the blade was handcrafted in the 17th century??? I really appreciate the information you have given me. I can see this will lead us on the road to learning a great deal more about this sword and the culture that created it. Nothing like Living History for the kids to grab onto. This is even cooler than a "Power Rangers sword".

Rick[/QUOTE

What I said was the signature was a fake of a group of swordsmiths who worked in the 17th century, which is not considered old in Japanese swords. That does not mean this blade is that old. It would require an in hands examination of the tempering and forgin and material used to provide a general window of time as to when it was made. I can say that it was made prior to the Meiji Revolution in 1871 that disbanded the samuraii class and the making of swords.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Got it. Thanks. I am excited to continue learning. Did the military go around collecting whatever swords they could and have them mounted for redistribution to the soldiers or did soldiers bring their own equipment to have remounted? I guess I am trying to determine if it could have been the family heirloom of the soldier who turned it in. I don't think I would track them down to return the sword because I know how my Grandfather felt about the Japanese. My goal is to write as complete a story as possible. The boys and I will work on piecing this stuff together. Thanks for giving us a starting point!
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast