Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

Article about: Hey Steve, i know it doesn't really matter in this day and age but i thought i mention that in Ancient Japan it was seen as a great disrespect to hang one's swords in that way. In times of p

Default WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

Here is some pics of a WW2 Japanese sword & belt, I bought from a Vet long ago. Sword is dated '44. It is a showato. It is signed Takehisa Saku. The mounts are fairly standard Army mounts. The saya is painted black. The tassel is for a lower grade officer, Lt.
    This has the sarute (monkey's hands) tassel loop, "Clasped hands" The sayajiri was missing when I got it, and found a fairly close replacement, otherwise all original, matching and untouched, except someone poorly shrpened the blade and is scratched up a bit. I like the sword none the less.

The sword belt came with it from the Vet. An interesting variation.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944   WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944   WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

Default Re: WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

Wow Steve, that's a beauty!
    It's in really great shape, and looks great in that little display you have setup.

I've got a small Japanese collection myself, mainly Hinomaru flags (3), headwear and medals. I was reading a thread about Jap battle flags and stains and actually had a peek at my collection under UV. Geez, I hope bloodstains don't show up as yellow ....

Jimbo

Steve, can we see the blade?

More Pics.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944   WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

Is it just me, or there's no hamon?

Wow. ('nuff said!) ... that signature on the tang is exquisite, and the sword belt is in really nice shape, too.

Did the Vet give you any background on how he obtained it? What a beaut centrepiece.

Cheers,
    Jimbo

A very fine example of a machine made and hand finished Showato in Shin gunto mounts.

Looks great steve, though the saya should be tan, Black was more often than not associated with civilian mounts so it was most liley re painted buy the previous owner right? Dose the habaki latch still work? I have seen quite a number of Shin Gunto's with broken habaki latches.

It is also nice to see the Tsuka is still tight and clean and has not been touch or sprayed over, I've seen this done before and to good pieces, makes you want to cry seeing what amateurs do to these fines old swords.

Looks like yours even has real Samekawa (rayskin) most had low grade or even fake Same.

Any chance you can post a couple of pics of the blade and Nakago, although cleaned, most likely with a buffer as it is what most amatours do to make the blade bright i would still be interesting in seeing it .
    looks like it even has all its seppa witch most gunto seem to show up without.
    Last edited by Nick VR; 07-07-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Lol you posted the next set of pics before i replied about the first set and turned out that you posted the exact pics i was after

Although the blade appears to have been buffed and the edge dull its still a very attractive blade, looks almost too good to be machine made. Being hand finished by a Tosho really makes this blade quite unique.

Is there anything on the blade? oil? i can see detail on the blade on a couple of the pics, looks like a loose wood grain (itame) but it could be the oil giving that affect.

Nifartachi, This is a machine made blade= No Forging or
    Tempering Pattern.

This is quite a beefy blade with a real nice and gradual Sori (curve) the type of curve is known as "toriizori" witch mean the center of the curve is roughly in the center of the blade.

The Kissaki is perfect for the style and curvature of this beefy Showato, This perticuler style is known as "ibuki-Kissaki" quite literaly meaning Wild boars neck. This would have been a deadly weapon in trained hands.

Thanks for sharing mate.
    Last edited by Nick VR; 07-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.

?

Ohio Gazimaz... looks great old sword!

Seibei, I've heard that some GI's took home some history pieces; did such a thing surfaced in the US, in the last years?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast