Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel

Article about: Hi guys, I have a chance to get a sword and I'd have to drive a couple hours to get it, apparently its from a WWII Marines estate. I don't know anything about swords and these pictures the s

Thank you Guy & Bruce for the help!!! I'll make the trip for it Friday, wish me luck! Hopefully there's some other goodies too!

I ended up getting this sword and a naval sword. Also some of his USMC gear. Will end up taking some photos later!

Just got back home and snapped some quick pictures! It was a great trip made even better by bringing home some goodies!

While I was at the sale I got a chance to talk to the veterans son & grandson. They told me that their father / grandfather never talked about the war so they didn't have any stories to pass on. I did get to see some pictures of him overseas but they wanted to keep them, which I completely understood. I also let them keep his dog tags which I managed to take a picture of. They showed me a wooden wardrobe which was in a garage that he stored all of his items. They told me everything has been there since he got home from the war. It seems like he was in the 2nd Marine Division and enlisted in 43, thats all I know. I certainly love pulling items out of the woodwork and it doesnt bother me too much that the sword has seen better days.

Hope you guys like it as much as I do!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel   WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  

WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel   WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  

Neat stuff! Depending on when he enlisted in ‘43 these may have came from Tarawa, but most likely he picked them up on Saipan or Tinian. Interested to see What some of the folks here can pull from his name.

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    Neat stuff! Depending on when he enlisted in ‘43 these may have came from Tarawa, but most likely he picked them up on Saipan or Tinian. Interested to see What some of the folks here can pull from his name.
    Thank you! He certainly could have gotten them there but its one of those things we'll never know unfortunately. In the photo album there were some pictures of Nagasaki, which I read that the 2nd Marines did occupational duty there. I guess there's a chance he could of even picked it up there too.

Your right John he very well could have. Perhaps someone can pull transport rosters or muster rolls and see when he arrived and departed the PTO.

?

Quote by John4022 View Post
    I ended up getting this sword and a naval sword.
    The naval sword is actually a Japanese colonial sword from Formosa.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    The naval sword is actually a Japanese colonial sword from Formosa.
    Thank you for the correction & identification!

Sword for Souninkan level government bureaucrat with matching knot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  

Thank you Nick for the information!

I just took apart the type 98s handle and took some better pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel   WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast