Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel

Article about: Hi guys, I have a chance to get a sword and I'd have to drive a couple hours to get it, apparently its from a WWII Marines estate. I don't know anything about swords and these pictures the s

Default WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel

Hi guys, I have a chance to get a sword and I'd have to drive a couple hours to get it, apparently its from a WWII Marines estate. I don't know anything about swords and these pictures the seller provided are awful. Does this at least look worthwhile of driving a couple hours to checkout? I can try to get better photos from the seller.

Thanks guys!
    -John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel   WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  

The blade looks a little neglected but if the price is right, I would go for it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hey John,
    I agree 100% with rbminis I would make the drive personally he may also have some other items as well. Just from the photos here are a few points I noticed, but may appear different in hand as the photos are very difficult to get a good look.

All the best, Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWII Japanese Officers Sword w/ Tassel 

I'm sure one of our excellent translators will be able to add more info ..

Thank you Geoff for the great assessment. I'm hoping theres some other stuff too! The sale is Friday so I'll take the day off and make the trip. In the meantime I'll try to get some better pictures and I'll study up. Though I doubt I can become a sword expert in a couple days

Don't feel bad, I'm looking at several hundred Years!! But we are in the right place to learn!

G.

It looks like

石原兼忠
    Ishihara Kanetada

But I’m on an iPhone now and can’t do any further checking.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    It looks like

石原兼忠
    Ishihara Kanetada

But I’m on an iPhone now and can’t do any further checking.
    Thanks for the lead! No rush on checking, whenever you have time.

Back home now on a **real** computer. Yup, Ishihara Kanetada.

From Marcus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:

• KANETADA (兼忠), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanetada” (兼忠), real name Ishihara Keiichi (石原銈一), born October 10th 1920, he worked as a guntō smith.

From the Showa Wartime Guntō (Showa Sword) Seki Blacksmith Swordsmith List:
    兼忠 石原銈一 S14.10.25
    Art name: Kanetada
    Civilian name: Ishihara Kei'ichi
    Licensed: Showa 14 [1939], 25 October.

-- Guy

The tassel appears to be red/brown which would mean it was carried by a Field-grade officer (Major-Colonel). The stamp is likely to be the Showa stamp which would put the year of the blade in the 1935-1942 range, with the highest odds of being 1940-1941. It would also mean the blade wasn't made "traditionally", which could mean a number of things like the smith used a steel other than tamahagane; or it could have been oil quenched rather than water quenched.

The mei is cut in the "cursive" style which is usually seen on blades that were made with more care than, say, a mass-produced blade. So that, and the field-grade tassel, I'd make the drive for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast