Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??

Article about: Greetings friends! Here is a sword I recently purchased for short money. It is supposed to be a WWII parade sword but I feel the quality is way inferior for it to be that. Very crudely made/

Default WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??

Greetings friends! Here is a sword I recently purchased for short money. It is supposed to be a WWII parade sword but I feel the quality is way inferior for it to be that. Very crudely made/forged, supposedly purchased in the 80's. I know there were fakes made in India at one point, the serial number amuses me no other markings. Any Ideas? And as always Thanks for all of your help, knowledge and friendship! I've been a member a day and have already gained a wealth of information!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??   WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??  

WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??   WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??  

WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??   WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??  

Attached Images Attached Images WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy?? 

Looks like a Type 19 officers' sword. Wait for someone who knows Japanese blades to opine, but that is what it appears to be to me.

I forgot to add, it seems to be a legitimate example and I am not sure, but I don't think the Type 19 was a "parade" sword.

I think it's trying to be Type 19 Kyū Guntō. I have never seen an original so crudely constructed. The detail on the guard is very poor and the grip does not look correct.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??  

Quote by christek View Post
    I have never seen an original so crudely constructed. The detail on the guard is very poor and the grip does not look correct.
    I agree, and I have never seen a grip this thick before.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

If you think of the 100's of years the Japanese sword smiths have plied their trade making exquisitely crafted swords then looking at the workmanship on this swords handle alone beggars belief in it naivety, I would surmise its something constructed as stated in India.

I thought it was very crude as well, and you noticed the "odd" lotus flower also. The guard is very crude. No "waves" on blade or anything either. For $20 US I figured it was worth a shot. Note that the guard is solid also with no cut-out around flower decoration as with most.

This is a great attitude and it’s good that you have been doing your own research. Personal perspective and knowledge on these artefacts is a vital attribute in our hobby. Rest assured we have all been burnt at one stage in our collecting life. We learn from this and most often educate others as you have done with your post. In the future if you evolve to considering more expensive purchases, always check with the experts here to make sure you have peace of mind prior to purchase. If, like myself, you realise that the helpful collectors/experts here can save you serious coin, you may choose to join the family of subscribing members. Kind regards.

Welcome fasteddiek, I agree with all the above posts Becoming a subscribing member will provide you with many fellow collectors who are a wealth of knowledge!! Here are a couple of photos of an original piece for comparison.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??   WWII Japanese parade sword? or fake/copy??  

MAP
    ?

I don't typically add "me to" comments when the facts have been established already but look at the last photo in the first post.

Crudely cast fake with blobs of extra metal all over. Plus comparing to the stunning example from our friend Geoff you can see it is not even cut out.

But for $20? you can use it to cut watermelon in half during your next BBQ to impress your friends Can't have much more fun than that!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I enjoy researching stuff and I have already gained a wealth of information in a short time! I know I have limited knowledge (which can be dangerous) but I will pull the trigger on a chance if the price is low, and if it's fake or counterfeit, I can use it as a teaching aid for others. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast