Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Yasukuni Shrine Forge

Article about: I saw a mention somewhere asking about the design of the now-destroyed [re-purposed?] Yasukuni Shrine Forge. I could not find anything on Google Search about the location, etc., so I took it

Default Yasukuni Shrine Forge

I saw a mention somewhere asking about the design of the now-destroyed [re-purposed?] Yasukuni Shrine Forge. I could not find anything on Google Search about the location, etc., so I took it upon myself to add a few mentions from Tom Kishida's outstanding book, The Yasukuni Swords: Rare Weapons of Japan 1933-1945; Tokyo: Kodansha, 2004; pp. 80-83.

Quote by Tom Kishida
    [It was located] in the western part of the grounds of the Yasukuni Shrine, and it was located between a sumo hall and a teahouse....

The entrance, office, and guest room of the forging center were built of wood, but the five workshops, which contained furnaces, were made of reinforced concrete, as were the lounge and bathroom. The exterior of the building is in traditional Japanese style and has a refined look. Square and round windows in the walls are reminiscent of "sukiya-zukuri" (a form of traditional Japanese house prevalent in the Muromachi period)....

...The forging center was renamed "seisen-so" after 1945, but the inside of the building was repaired and refurbished in 1987, and the name was changed to "Gyoun-tei." It has been used as a tea ceremony hall since November 1994.
    Elevations:

--Guy

Default Ground Floor Plan

Default Second Floor Plan

--Guy

- - ------- - -

--Guy

Numbers 17 & 18 are where the forge used to be

source and larger map.

--Guy

Guy-
    Great bit of information. I have never seen these drawings and plans before.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Really neat info. Thanks.

?

Guy , as Bob and Steve have already remarked , a very interesting map , thanks for your efforts in posting this ! I would love a visit to this Shrine one day
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

When I first visited the Yasukuni Jinga, I was interested in seeing the site of the katana dojo. As it was long gone in 1980. these images fit in nicely to the site I saw. Following the war's end, undoubtedly, the site was a symbol of militarism and with sword forging prohibited, it is easy to understand why the complex was destroyed. I was fortunate to have met two men who worked there as swordsmiths.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    ... it is easy to understand why the complex was destroyed. I was fortunate to have met two men who worked there as swordsmiths.
    Bob,

It was my impression of reading the book that the buildings were re-purposed, not destroyed. I also thought the buildings were destroyed.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Bob,

It was my impression of reading the book that the buildings were re-purposed, not destroyed. I also thought the buildings were destroyed.

Cheers,
    --Guy
    If that is the case, the groundskeeper showed me the wrong place and gave me incorrect information.
    BOB