Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please

Article about: I bought this today with a return option since this is my first one to own. I have seen quite a few but do not own one. The three red ink stamps are something I have not seen before. I am lo

Default yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please

I bought this today with a return option since this is my first one to own. I have seen quite a few but do not own one. The three red ink stamps are something I have not seen before. I am looking for help on originality and with translation of writing. The size of it is different (smaller) than I am used to seeing as well. All opinions and information are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Pleaseyosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please

?

Nice, authentic Seabee Special.

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    Nice, authentic Seabee Special.

Tom
    Sheesh Tom, don’t do that to me!!

Rescue190: this is the so-called “Tojo” flag because the Seabee who created it included the name
    東條 英機
    Tojo Hideki

— Guy

?

Keeping you on your toes, Guy!

I love this style of flag. I bet not one creator of this type of flag ever thought that it would cause so much consternation among collectors 7 plus decades down the road. I picked up one myself recently to get framed as a conversation starter.

Tom

?

These were made in the Philippines late in the war/early post-war. I've seen a period photo of a G.I. posing with one. The writing is better than most "Seabee flags", so someone familiar with kanji had a part in making them. If you've seen enough yosegaki flags these just don't look right, plus one keeps seeing these "Tojo flags" over and over.

Thank you for the replies and information. I am happy to know it is an authentic item. I am going to take a run at translation with a new app I found. It will be interesting to see how well it actually works.
    John

?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Thank you for the replies and information. I am happy to know it is an authentic item. I am going to take a run at translation with a new app I found. It will be interesting to see how well it actually works.
    John
    You do understand that while this is a period item, it was never owned by anyone Japanese, right? So the writing is decorative. Some of it at least was copied from a real Japanese example, the top big kanji is the "Bu un Chou kyu" (May your military fortunes be long lasting) seen on most yosegaki flags, and the rest appears to be scribbled names including the fake Tojo sig in the lower right quad. The "shrine stamp" was probably copied off something by someone not Japanese, too me at least it is illegible.

For reference, here’s the Shine marking on the flag I own.

Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    John
    See this WAF thread here.

This is what you have.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please   yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please  

yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) Help Please  

Quote by Ryoyo View Post
    You do understand that while this is a period item, it was never owned by anyone Japanese, right? So the writing is decorative. Some of it at least was copied from a real Japanese example, the top big kanji is the "Bu un Chou kyu" (May your military fortunes be long lasting) seen on most yosegaki flags, and the rest appears to be scribbled names including the fake Tojo sig in the lower right quad. The "shrine stamp" was probably copied off something by someone not Japanese, too me at least it is illegible.
    I did not and appreciate the information. The additional information and the link was much appreciated. I like the piece of history but not real excited about it being more of a souvenir that is period correct rather than a soldier owned item.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast