Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

2x K98k bayonets

Article about: Just showing two K98k bayonets which I've owned for many years. Any comments, especially in respect of manufacturers, welcomed.

Default 2x K98k bayonets

Just showing two K98k bayonets which I've owned for many years. Any comments welcomed. 2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2x K98k bayonets
    P
    Many

You have two Seitengewehre / Bayontes 84/98. There was never a Bayonet K98k.

Both are not the same number.

One has a postmark from 1945 after 1945. Both have a very dark browning.

The frogs are original and in a good shape.

IMO both were revised after 1945.

Hi Sleepwalker,

Thanks for the comments, though I'm not quite sure what you are saying about the postcode, or why you should think there is any post-war modification.

A couple of nice looking S 84/98 bayonets. But I agree with SW, both have had a post manufacture refurbishment. The one marked 43 ffc is made by Herder & Sohne and as well as the deep blue finish typical of the post war refurbished bayonet I see it seem to have an alloy rivet in the scabbard marked 7710. These alloy rivets were fitted post WW2 by East Germany. The '42 made bayonet (WKC) has a number 693 stamped on the hilt, which wouldn't have been made during the Third Reich. So again evidence of post war service use. A photo of the flashguards would be interesting. And the wood grip plates for both bayonets I believe are post war, I think from that series number they should be bakelite.
    Last edited by Anderson; 05-11-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. I've attached a few more close-ups. The top four are of the '42' bayonet. The '693' on the hilt is actually 699, or 996, as can be seen on the close-up. P
    I must admit I didn't know the DDR used these bayonets. Would they have been used by early Kampfgruppen?

2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets2x K98k bayonets?

?

Postwar refurbishment as mentioned by others, could be DDR even the side numbering is not typical for them, the 43ffc had most real red plastic grips, both are reblued. b.r.Andy

Again, thanks for the feedback. I guess it would have been better news if the two bayonets had been un-tampered with; but on the other hand they're both in excellent condition and their refurbishment post-war is all part of their history, though it would be even better to know by which administration they were refurbished, and to whom they were issued !
    As an aside, both bayonets were acquired from completely different sources, and many years apart, so would it be logical to assume that S84/98 bayonets were widely refurbished for post war use ?

The DDR imports were a long time ago and have had a lot of time to circulate before ending up in different collections. There were also some refinished WW II era pistols. Some other DDR items were never or hardly ever seen in the U.S. - but eventually might have turned up from countries that had them as sort of "under the table" exports to them from the East Bloc. Best Regards, Fred

Both flash guards have the "waffle" pattern that is typical of the East German post war refurbished bayonets. Nothing wrong with it, just part of the history. I bought my first minty DDR bayonet in about 1975.