Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayonet for appraisal

Article about: I was given this Bayonet and have placed it in a frog I bought some time ago. I live quite close to a former German Army Camp and the story was this was found amongst a bunch of things loote

?

Default Bayonet for appraisal

I was given this Bayonet and have placed it in a frog I bought some time ago.
    I live quite close to a former German Army Camp and the story was this was found amongst a bunch of things looted at the end of hostilities.

Do you think it was unissued or has it been refinished?

I welcome all comments and wish everyone a happy Easter.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet for appraisal   Bayonet for appraisal  

Bayonet for appraisal   Bayonet for appraisal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bayonet for appraisal
    P
    Many

The scabbard and bayonet are mismatched so has been issued and swapped at some point. But the bluing looks good and the blade looks unaltered, nice find.

?

Looks like a refurbishment, i dont believe the blueing is period. cof 43 in 1943 is mostly equiped with wood grips or red plastik, so here are probably replacements the brown colored ones. Possible norwegian rework could be here. Happy Easter.

?

If refurbished,were they polished before bluing?

The fine edges in the markings would have been dulled by abrasives or chemical treatment?

There are thousands of these here.240 were sold on an auction site recently.All in a big box,none looked in pristine condition however.

Hi there,

it seems to me that this is an overhaul from the former GDR.

Please check whether the screw is a rivet on the mouth plate and whether the fire protection plate is corrugated.

Happy Easter

Quote by norsk View Post
    If refurbished,were they polished before bluing?

The fine edges in the markings would have been dulled by abrasives or chemical treatment?

There are thousands of these here.240 were sold on an auction site recently.All in a big box,none looked in pristine condition however.
    Over time I've seen lots from the East Bloc and Scandinavia, the former in generally very rough condition, the later much more variable. The example here could be from the GDR if what Sleepwalker pointed out is what we are seeing here? Or it could be another source? Sometimes the blueing pre-treatment might have just been an acid wash to remove contaminants and light rust that would have not really affected the markings that much. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hello

There is a light metal rivet on the top of the mouth plate.
    I don't know what a "corrugated fire protection plate" is though?

Good thing this Bayonet was a gift.Strange that wound up over here from the GDR since these arnt valuable at all here.

?

Another pictureBayonet for appraisalBayonet for appraisalBayonet for appraisal

- - ------- - -

Well,those three pictures were un intentional.

It is an East German DDR post war refurbished bayonet. The alloy rivet on the scabbard confirms that.

I just learnt something new cheers Anderson, I always thought the alloy rivet on the scabbard was an Israeli mod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast