Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 bayonet pick-up

Article about: I got this with an S.A. dagger and an Heer dagger thought you guys might like it. Its mismatched but its the way the vet brought it back . Gary

?

Default K98 bayonet pick-up

I got this with an S.A. dagger and an Heer dagger thought you guys might like it. Its mismatched but its the way the vet brought it back . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet pick-up   K98 bayonet pick-up  

K98 bayonet pick-up   K98 bayonet pick-up  

K98 bayonet pick-up   K98 bayonet pick-up  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet pick-up
    P
    Many

?

The Bayo looks nice. The blade looks untouched by any sharpening devices and made by crs -Paul Weyersberg. So a 44 bayonet with a 37 scabbard(S/174 - WKC). But a Vet bring back!!!
    The frog is missing its strap but looks good.
    A nice pick up.

I guess I head over to the Dagger section to see the other Goodies you got!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Didn't post the daggers yet will soon

A very tidy late war S84/98. There is a surprisingly large number of these "mismatched" bayonets that were brought back from the battlefield. Often collectors assume the mismatch must have occurred post war. But it's equally possible the scabbard was a reissue from a Company armourer to replace a damaged scabbard. Too many are mismatched to blame it all on the meddling of post war collectors. The other possible explanation is that when German troops were captured they were ordered to drop weapons including their bayonet to the ground. They were marched off and later relieved of their belt with scabbard. Some time after this the bayonets and scabbards were gathered up and matching numbers were on no one's mind at that point.
    I rather think too much is made of whether the numbers match, if it's authentic with provenance, it's collectable and a piece of history.

The frog is authentic too, it may have a maker mark, worth looking for as could be dated. Andy will be pleased the blade is unsharpened.

I can see the bayo collectors point of view with matching numbers and also agree with you Anderson...the matching numbers make a bayo complete for collectability as is any edged weapon that first exits the producers doors. Little Intricacies for the purist of heart.

Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice one Gary, pretty close to mine.

Well done Rene. Interesting to see the frog RB.Nr in two rows rather than the usual single line. Probably the frog was made shortly after the Reichsbetriebsnummer system was introduced in 1943.

Looks like we both have the same WaA number here.

WaA519 was the inspection code used on most Solingen made S84/98 bayonets between 1942 and 1945.

?

the first piece is a missmatch, mostly done in end capturing, normally it was serialed or reserialed by germans, could be done when GIs captured equipment from german units, the 44crs is a b range, scabbard is 1937 WKC under code S/174. The second one is matching and far away from the first, when i remember corectly j is the last range of 44crs, it folowed the 45crs production.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast