Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic

Article about: WARNING!!! IMAGES BELOW CONTAIN GRAPHIC CONTENT!!! Following the liberation of Dachau concentration camp by US forces in late April 1945, the recording of the crimes that took place at the i

?

Default Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic

WARNING!!! IMAGES BELOW CONTAIN GRAPHIC CONTENT!!!

Following the liberation of Dachau concentration camp by US forces in late April 1945, the recording of the crimes that took place at the infamous camp were made by both official US military photographers, and former inmates who had experience within the records department of the camp. Below are a number of original 1945 period images, some of which were produced in numbers by the former prisoners and traded with members of the liberating forces and also, fellow inmates of the camp. Many of the veterans later recalled how they wanted to show the folks back home the horrific experience they had in Europe. It was often said, if they did not show their friends and relatives actual photographs, then they would never have believed them, such was the extent and magnitude of the horror.

The first set of images shows members of the Sonderkommando detail, demonstrating how the corpses were disposed of.

These images are posted as a historical record of the utter barbarity of the treatment of the prisoners.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic   Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic   Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

?

Next, the scene within another room of Baracke-X, with piles of bodies awaiting incineration. Even the expanded new Krematorium failed to cope with the sheer volume of dead at the camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

?

Outside of the facility, the scene that awaited the liberators...piles of corpses left to rot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic   Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic   Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

?

Finally, another image taken after the camp was liberated, showing former inmates assisting with the burial of former prisoners.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Crematorium Post Liberation Images - Graphic  

Carl,

Thank you for posting these images to remind us of what humans can do to each other when hatred prevails.

When I went to Dachau a few years back and walked the grounds that the prisoners walked, I was feeling very overwhelmed with sadness, and it took a few days afterwards for me to shake the feelings that I had.

Just recently I was able to purchase a Visitor Pass to Dachau for 4 Soldiers to visit for 1 hour on June 24, 1945, and a typewritten letter from a Soldier to his mother that liberated the camp. The letter was dated April 30, 1945.

Best regards

Smitty