Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Digging at Auschwitz?

Article about: Have sent a complaint to ebay will let you know what they say when they reply.

I am resurrecting this once again as I was looking for a holocaust book for my mother for christmas (don't ask) and came across this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vaad-Hatz...8AAOSwke9Z-97R

I can't work out what it means by 'holocaust d.p. camp item' does that mean it came from a camp because it's dated 1947 so I'm very confused.

On top of that it is definitely illegal to dig at Auschwitz -not sure if it was when I went in 2011 but I remember recent stories about people being arrested and fined. I have never been to another camp that has a sign up about 'digging' or removing objects though - just Auschwitz.
    Last edited by Bexinthecity247; 11-30-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: double post

D.P. stands for Displaced Person.

Ohhh okay that makes sense.

I've actually just seen on a dealer website a piece of brick from a POW camp (Stalag Luft 3) which he picked up this year. I remember it being very open there and there were no guards wandering around that I can remember. *shrug*

Quote by Bexinthecity247 View Post
    I've actually just seen on a dealer website a piece of brick from a POW camp (Stalag Luft 3) which he picked up this year. I remember it being very open there and there were no guards wandering around that I can remember. *shrug*
    Could just as easily be a chip of brick from a building site. There are listings just like that all over eBay: Tiles from the Berghof, stone from the steps of the Reichstag and Reichs Chancellery, even sand from the beaches landed on during Operation Overlord.
    Without being there yourself to see the items retrieved, they are just stones and sand. And yet people pay for these things. It boggles the mind.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Could just as easily be a chip of brick from a building site. There are listings just like that all over eBay: Tiles from the Berghof, stone from the steps of the Reichstag and Reichs Chancellery, even sand from the beaches landed on during Operation Overlord.
    Without being there yourself to see the items retrieved, they are just stones and sand. And yet people pay for these things. It boggles the mind.

B.B.
    I think some people are so interested in/fascinated by the Third Reich or WW2 that their interest in an item outweighs their common sense around it's origins...we all likely have items we purchased before we knew better about fakes and forgeries, but at least in our cases it was likely a decent fascimile of a thing...I can't imagine seeing a brick or pile of sand someone was claiming had historical significance and wanting to purchase it without anything proving provenance.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9