Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identifying a family member extermination camp victim

Article about: Hello people... A different and more graphic topic for me here! My gf's family told me about the story of a family member that was taken from Greece and transported at a concentration camp d

Default Help with identifying a family member extermination camp victim

Hello people...

A different and more graphic topic for me here!
    My gf's family told me about the story of a family member that was taken from Greece and transported at a concentration camp during the war... As I'm writting this, I've asked for more information to be passed to me in order to give it to you! They begged for my help as the Germans took her and never heard of her again and that has been killing the family ever since.
    I know there are some people with broad knowledge in general and more specifically members with experience regarding the Holocaust and the camp system matters.
    I know it would be a long shot but you never know...
    As soon as I'll have the info I will post it here!

Mike

Hi Mike since you mentioned Holocaust and camp system.I will move your thread for further indepth review to the KZ forum Moderated by Carl.
    He and others knowledged on this topic will be able to further assist you.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default More information regarding the peson missing...

Hello! Thank you Larry for the assistance! I received further information so here it goes...

Name: Paneti Eleni (Paneti Helen, Πανέτη Ελένη in Greek)

She was the 3rd out of 8 siblings in the family. Siblings names: Vagioula, Christos, Eleni, Lakis, Lefteris, Mitsos/ Dimitris, Giota, Giannis (Βαγιούλα, Χρήστος, Ελένη, Λάκης, Λεφτέρης, Μήτσος/ Δημήτρης, Γιώτα, Γιάννης in Greek)

Parents' names: Spiros Panetis (Σπύρος Πανέτης in Greek) and Katerina Pinari (Κατερίνα Πινάρη in Greek) married in 1909.

She was born approximately in 1916 and she was at around the age of 28 when she went missing.
    Born in the town of Giannena (Γιάννενα or Ιωάννενα in Greek) in the village of Siraco/Sirako (Σιράκο in Greek)

She was involed in the Resistance and that's the main reason she was betrayed to the Germans.

1st of May 1944, 3 local (from Athens, Penteli) people with their faces covered enter the house and arrest her alongside her two cousins named Dimitris Panetis and Sofis Panetis (Δημήτρης Πανέτης and Σόφης Πανέτης in Greek) and her brother Christos. Her two cousins and her brother were executed in the Kaisariani Shooting Area in Athens (their names appear in a memorial there).
    The youngest from the 8 brothers, Giannis, being very young then, still remembers vividly that one of the kidnappers wore a very distinctive and familiar ring on his hand. That made them realise that the kidnappers were locals and they knew the family very well...

After the war, some members of the family visited Dachau but they were unable to locate her. They think she was transported to Germany but she might as well had stayed in Greece in a camp somewhere and executed there...

That's all I have regarding the story...

Any help would be (I can't explain you how...) MUCH appreciated!

Have you considered contacting Yad Vashem? I don't know if they have any archive material on resistance in Greece but perhaps they can make a referral. You might also try Jewish Women's Archive on the web. They have a whole page on resistance in Greece. Hopefully, members of this forum can be more helpful. NH

Hello and thank you for your answer! I don't know anything about Yad Vashem... I will try on both these sources!!

?

Contact the ITS (International Tracing Service).

https://www.its-arolsen.org/en/

Carl