Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen

Article about: Interesting photos Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen concentration camps | Daily Mail Online

Default Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen

I've always considered Mauthausen to be one of the most truly hellish camps out of all of them. I think a person was better off dead rather than being sent there. Disturbing to think that people have built residential housing there today...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have addressed this elsewhere in the KZ forum previously, however, for the augmentation of the thread, shall outline the classification system again below:

The Konzentrationslager system received officially designated grading by the SS authorities which resulted in three distinct levels:

Class-I (Used to designate an Arbeitslager, i.e. work camp, such as Dachau)

Class-II (Designated camps with a harder/worse level of treatment for inmates, including their forced labour detail. This classification designated camps such as Buchenwald)

Class-III (Reserved for the hardest of all - camps known as Knochenmühle, i.e. The Bone Mill. Only Mauthausen and Groß-Rosen officially received this classification. However, several other major Konzentrationslagers, such as those located at Floßenbürg and Natzweiler-Struthoff, were also directly associated with one of the numerous SS owned DEST (German Earth and Stone Works) company operated stone quarries. These camps also had a horrific work environment that cut short countless lives.)
    Last edited by CARL; 05-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.

?

Note:

These classifcations did not address any of the sites known as Vernichtungslagers (extermination camps). Some camps, such as Auschwitz-II Birkenau, were actually an extermination camp and a labour camp. The sheer scale and range of both anatomy and function of the concentration camps makes the exact definition of every individual site difficult.

?

The following threads address various aspects of the Mauthausen-Gusen camp system:

The Gusen Camps

KZ Mauthausen

Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke

?

Today, May 5th, marks the anniversary of the liberation of the majority of the camps within the Mauthausen camp system. US forces liberated virtually the entire camp complex on 5th May 1945 - the camps at Loiblpass were reached later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen   Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen  

Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen  

?

Link to a new thread addressing today's commemorative events marking the 74th anniversary of the liberation:

Never A Number - Forever Human

?

The 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Mauthausen-Gusen camps is marked today. From yesterday, visiting the site is again possible, although the buildings remain closed. The memorial continues to commemorate the anniversary in a number of ways, including a project titled Let's Send A Signal Together! where people are invited to download an image of open KZ gates and add their own artistic interpretation. See below for further details:

https://www.mauthausen-memorial.org/...ignal-together
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inside the Nazis' infamous Mauthausen