Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

KL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacre

Article about: Konzentrationslager Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacre On 17th February 1943 after evening roll call, Josef Kramer, the third of five Kommandants at KL-Natzweiler-Struthof, reached in

Well done.

And Josef Kramer got his just rewards..

A nice long rope.. on 13/12/1945, at Hamelin Jail.

Quote by Panzerheld View Post
    And Josef Kramer got his just rewards..

A nice long rope.. on 13/12/1945, at Hamelin Jail.
    How true, indeed.

KL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacreKL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacreKL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacreKL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacreKL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacreWhat thoughts went through his mind at this point, likely those of self pity...I imagine.....?
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-25-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    What thoughts went through his mind at this point, likely those of self pity...I imagine.....?
    Almost certainly. His sentiments five months prior to his execution:

"Ich frage mich die ganze Zeit, warum dieses Mißgeschick über mich kam. Womit habe ich das verdient? Was habe ich getan, daß man mich wie einen Kriminellen behandelt? Daß so viele Menschen in Belsen starben - ich konnte das nicht mehr ändern. Es ist alles Schicksal und vielleicht soll ich sogar dafür bestraft werden. Mein Vater pflegte manchmal zu sagen, daß ich kein Glück habe. Heute glaube ich das nur zu gut."

"All the time I am wondering why this misfortune has come down on me. What have I done to deserve this? What have I done to be treated like a criminal? That so many people died at Belsen - I was unable to do anything about it at that time. It is all down to fate and perhaps I am even meant to be punished for it. My father used to say that I have no good luck. Today I believe this only too well."

(Letter from Kramer to his wife of 8 July 1945.)

Kramer was completely unable and unwilling to admit to himself or the world that he had done anything wrong, saw himself als a victim of circumstances and fate and - as usual, one might say - defended himself by claiming to have only followed orders and done his duty.

Thank you, Andreas, I rather thought so. Hannah Arendt had a lot sensible to say about these people.

The word I am seeking here is "mawkish..." is it not?

"All the time I am wondering why this misfortune has come down on me. What have I done to deserve this? What have I done to be treated like a criminal? That so many people died at Belsen - I was unable to do anything about it at that time. It is all down to fate and perhaps I am even meant to be punished for it. My father used to say that I have no good luck. Today I believe this only too well."

It makes you think that these people were totally insane.

So, it was down to bad luck that all these poor people died in HIS Camp, under HIS leadership.

?

Today, 23rd November 2019, marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of KL-Natzweiler-Struthof. From noon, the site will be closed to visitors today, due to the commemorative events taking place on the grounds of the former concentration camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacre   KL-Natzweiler-Struthof - Sandkasten massacre  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2