Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KZ Mauthausen

Article about: I visited here in December a few years ago. I arrived in the fog and it was one of the most haunting places I have ever been to. There cannot have been more than a dozen people here all day,

Default KZ Mauthausen

I visited here in December a few years ago. I arrived in the fog and it was one of the most haunting places I have ever been to. There cannot have been more than a dozen people here all day, which added to the atmosphere.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Mauthausen   KZ Mauthausen  

KZ Mauthausen   KZ Mauthausen  

KZ Mauthausen  

?

Default Re: KZ Mauthausen

Exteremely interesting photos.
    Thanks for posting.

?

Thank you for posting these pics. The 'then and now' images are a great link to the past.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Nicely put together Salzburg.

Regards,

Carl

very cool presentation and photos.

Thanks for posting. Very informitive pics.

Even the images are unsettling
    Thanks for showing !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

To augment the images shown above, here is a list of their descriptions:

1. Haupteingang - the main entrance to the Häftlingslager, seen from the approach on the camp road.

2. Period view taken during the liberation.

3. This image was taken alongside "Block-I", the former prisoner functionaries offices and camp brothel location.

4. Period view from a nearby position - note the small chimneys atop the roof of the brothel.

5-6. Two views, contemporary and period, showing the Bunker building with crematorium chimney visible. Below ground, the execution room, gas chamber and mortuary.

7-8. Next is a view of the Küche (Kitchen), followed by an image showing visiting SS.

9-10. The infamous "Stairs of Death". Here, prisoners serving in the granite quarry worked under the most horrific conditions of any Mauthausen Kommandos - often forced to carry stone blocks weighing up to 50kg (which would not be too different to their own body weight at the time) on their backs, with any sign of wavering resulting in severe punishment and more than often, death.

11-12. Wiener Graben/Steinbruch - the "Vienna" quarry. The place to the left of the contemporary image was known as the "Parachutists spot", due to the sick humour of the SS guards and Kapos who regularly pushed inmates to their deaths over the near sheer face of the rock. This was carried out whenever anybody slowed the ranks carrying the granite blocks up the stairs. At the end of the working day, survivors had to carry the corpses of those who had fallen during the shift back to the camp.

13-14. Two views of the Appellplatz (Roll call) area.

15-16. Häftlingsunterkunft (Prisoner's accommodation). The living conditions steadily worsened toward the end of the war as mass evacuation transports from all corners of the Konzentrationslagers system headed toward destinations such as Theresienstadt and the Mauthausen-Gusen camps.

17-18. The third crematorium oven. Prisoners corpses were incinerated here during the latter stages of the existence of the camp.

19-20. Two photographs taken on the former barracks area. The first image is alongside Barrack-V, the "Jüdenblock", which was located near to the perimeter fence. Behind the spot where the second image was taken lies the Aschenhalde (the ash dump).

21. The entrance to "Block-I", with the Appellplatz just visible.

22. Dissection room, contemporary view.

23. Entrance to the gas chamber, which operated until just prior to liberation.

24-25. Two of the numerous memorials and commemorative markers present at the museum site, namely a plaque for Dutch and British agents murdered at the camp in autumn 1944 and the large Hungarian memorial marker which is located on the grounds of the former SS-Lager, aside the road approaching the main entrance to the camp.

The then and now pics are quite haunting but they all send a shiver up your spine. Thanks for posting them.

?

One cannot consider the history of KL-Mauthausen, without also addressing the Gusen camps. Together, the Mauthausen-Gusen camp system accounted for approximately 200,000 deportations. Around 100,000 of these people died.

The Gusen Camps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast