Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Plaszow Concentration Camp

Article about: KZ-PLASZOW Located in the southeastern part of Krakow, now the Podgorze district, the former ZALfJ (forced labour camp for Jews) later became a Konzentrationslager that would eventually hold

?

24-27) Various views of the former film set location. Spielberg's "Schindler's List" was filmed at this site which is often misidentified as the former camp location. However, it is not - it is actually the former Liban quarry site nearby. The remnants are from the film shooting, not that of the Konzentrationslager. The reproduction detail even included the placing of false Jewish gravestones - the original camp reportedly had a road built using stones from two Jewish cemeteries located nearby. The film's reproduction stones include repeated doubles which bear the same name.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plaszow Concentration Camp   Plaszow Concentration Camp  

Plaszow Concentration Camp   Plaszow Concentration Camp  

Great photos Carl and they bring back memories of my visits, i was lucky enough to get inside the house of Amon Göth as the old Polish guy who owns it arrived while i was taking photos and let us in, the only place we couldn't explore was the infamous balcony which is in a bad state of repair.
    The last time we visited there were a few homeless people living in the tunnels, they actually showed us around the camp in exchange for a few zlotys to buy beer!....

?

28) Finally, an image taken from the movie. It clearly shows the former quarry walls in the background. Compare this with the images posted earlier in the thread and it becomes easier to establish that the images numbered 24-27 were taken at the location of the film shoot, not on the former camp grounds.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plaszow Concentration Camp  

?

Terry, yes, I had an issue with the text editor - thankfully sorted now.

Dave and Gunny, thanks too for your contributions.

Regards,

Carl

Jan
    ?

Great pictures!! Thank You so much

Best,

Jan

Very interesting.

Thank you Carl for yet another detailed and informative thread. I personally found the references to the film of Shindlers list most interesting as I have recently read the book "The boy on the wooden box" by Leon Leyson , who is as far as I am aware the only personal memoire account from "the list". I would highly recommend this book for reading as it is written by one of the most humble forgiving gentlemen , a true and everlasting piece of wonderful human love and survival opposed to the short lived idioic ideals and hate of Nazi Germany! Leon (not related but would be proud to!)

thanks Carl great job.

?

Jan, Doug, Leon and Harry - thanks gents. As ever, I appreciate your kind words.

Regards,

Carl

?

Thanks again for posting Carl, as always an interesting read with good quality photo's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast