Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Ravensbrück - An early memoir

Article about: I recently purchased this very early French memoir Ravensbrück: The Women's Camp of Death. Author: Denise Dufournier. Publisher: George Allen & Unwin Limited, 1948. The dust-jacket illus

Default Ravensbrück - An early memoir

I recently purchased this very early French memoir Ravensbrück: The Women's Camp of Death. Author: Denise Dufournier. Publisher: George Allen & Unwin Limited, 1948.

The dust-jacket illustration by Gorden Noel Fish is certainly very striking and evocative!

It was first published in French 1945 under the title of La Maison des mortes: Ravensbrück.

Last edited by StefanM; 07-01-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Ravensbrück - An early memoir

Not one I have read.

I agree, that dust jacket cover is certainly very striking.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Definetly evocative of the times. I would eventually like to read this book if I can find it . I am currently reading "piepel" . Thanks for sharing. The cover looks very creepy.

Dean.

The French "La maison des mortes, Ravensbrück" edition was republished in 1992 by Julliard, Paris.

Denise Dufournier was one of about 100-150 French women evacuated from the camp in April 1945 — just before the German capitulation — under the auspices of The International Red Cross (IRC).

The IRC and both the Swedish and Danish Red Cross societies evacuated around 7,500 prisoners from KL Ravensbrück sending them to Sweden. This became known as known as the “White Buses action”...the buses were painted white and displayed a red cross. Those evacuated included women from Scandinavia, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, France and Poland.
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-01-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Below: Red Cross "White Busses" used to rescue/evactuate concentration camp prisoners to neutral Sweden.

Photos: USHMM