Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..

Article about: Outside again now and this is a shot taken from roughly the centre of the camp, just in front of the Soviet Liberation Memorial looking back towards the main entrance. A look back along the

Great thread!....

With Adrian's permission I have added pictures of this interwar commercially produced M18 helmet, marked "Kdtr. K.L.S. 13" to the thread. Kelly Hicks featured an interwar commercially produced M18 style helmet with the IDENTICAL stamping on his site and commented that "The stamping is fabulous-- Kdtr. K.L.S. 13 may be the designation for the Standortkommandantur of Sachsenhausen Camp, which was Eiche's main adminstrative camp for the SS-TV (located at Berlin / Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg)." (That helmet is the May 2012 Featured Helmet on Kelly's site.) When I look at this one on the shelf I sometimes get chills! Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..   Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..   Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

Last edited by helmet2id; 01-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.

?

Thank you for sharing a chilling yet historically important piece Jim. Indeed, the Concentration Camp Inspection Office - (die Inspektion der Konzentrationslager), the administrative headquarters for all concentration camps within the German sphere of influence, was transferred from Berlin to Oranienburg - location of KL-Sachsenhausen, during 1938.

?

Thank you for posting Jim, great lid and superb stamps.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Thank you for sharing a chilling yet historically important piece Jim. Indeed, the Concentration Camp Inspection Office - (die Inspektion der Konzentrationslager), the administrative headquarters for all concentration camps within the German sphere of influence, was transferred from Berlin to Oranienburg - location of KL-Sachsenhausen, during 1938.
    Below is an image of T-Gebäude ("T-Building"), named as such due to its form. The building housed the administrative system for the entire Konzentrationslager system from 1938-1945. The building now houses the modern "Centre of Terror" exhibition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

?

Yesterday, 22nd April 2015, marked the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..   Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

Hi Adrian, when I was in Berlin a few years ago we decided to go to Oranienburg by train and go and visit Sachsenhausen. I agree with you that it is very cold there, we went in Month of May. Your account brings back many vivid memories of the measuring stick, the army boot testing area and finally ...The mortuary.. We had a guide and he informed us of all the on goings in the camp. Basically it bore down to Pain, mental torture and to give up the will to live.
    Without being misunderstood death was the best thing that could have happened to these poor souls.
    One can write about these things but being there in the bitter cold and listening to day to day life is another thing. Suggest that everybody goes there or another camp as the German school pupils do just to hear first hand the one goings of camp life, and living in those conditions.

Was very surprised that the SS Barracks were still there, just outside.
    Thank you for your excellent account.

?

Some interesting photos of the SS-Hundeschule attached to Sachsenhausen run by Lehr- und Versuchsabteilung für das Diensthundwesen der Waffen-SS SS-Hundeschule Sachsenhausen | Digital Cosmonaut , he also has other photos of the Sachsenhausen Oranienburg area.

?

Yesterday, 22nd April 2016, marked the 71st anniversary of the liberation of the camp.

Below is a link to the museum website, with a video (German language version) of the commemorative meeting held earlier this week. Also attached below is an image of the tributes laid at the memorial this week.

Memorial and Museum Sachsenhausen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

Hello and thanks for postings all these interesting and important informations about this part of the german history. I am a helmet collector and own this helmet. I hope it is ok to post this helmet.

Kind regards
    Basti

If you like to see more detail photos of the helmet, here is the link: M18 SS - KL Sachsenhausen

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast