Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled

Article about: Photographs previously belonging to SS officer Johann Niemann have been put on display at the Topography of Terror exhibition in Berlin. The images were handed over by Niemann's grandson in

?

Default Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled

Photographs previously belonging to SS officer Johann Niemann have been put on display at the Topography of Terror exhibition in Berlin. The images were handed over by Niemann's grandson in 2015 and include photographs purportedly showing the infamous John Demjanjuk, the Ukrainian SS guard jailed in Munich who later died during the appeal process in 2012. Niemann, an SS-Untersturmführer who served as deputy Kommandant at Sobibor, was killed during an uprising at the camp during October 1943 by an axe to the head.

Link below with more details and images:

Holocaust: SS officer's photos reveal Sobibor death camp - BBC News

Photo credit: USHMM

?

Sobibor, view of the camp taken in early 1943 and another view showing one of the camp entrance points.

Photo Credit - USHMM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled   Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled  

?

Johann Niemann on horse at Sobibor and view of SS staff relaxing at Sobibor.

Photo Credit - USHMM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled   Sobibor SS Officer's Photographs Unveiled  

Dom
    ?

Amazing photos

A thought for Alexander Petcherski and Léon Feldhendler

The book of photos can now be purchased at the following link. It is in German but I wouldn't be surprised if it is translated in the future.
    Metropol Verlag >> Fotos aus Sobibor

And here is the contents list that can be downloaded at the publishers site.

TWS
    ?

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I have a copy of Richard Rashke's "Escape from Sobibor" and it's a compelling read. It talks about taking out some SS with axes during the uprising but I'll have to check and see if it mentions Niemann by name. It also describes how they used tree boughs to obscure the areas behind the fences as seen in the photos.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."