Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Zyklon B Canister?

Article about: Hello, My apologize in advance if this post is being placed in the wrong section of the forum. I couldn’t find a forum relating to the concentration camps, or maybe there is, but excuse my

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Why?
    My feelings exactly.
    I can understand these (genuine items not this garbage) being in a museum exhibition but on the collectors market? Too ghoulish for my taste I have to say.

However, as for that website in general, enter at your peril

Enough said.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-21-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    2 points from me ....
    1. The cans don't seem to be the same size as the original, see for comparison.

and 2. Why?
    Zyklon B was supplied from 1922 in at least 3 different sizes as a Pestizide. The small cans with a large Maschine made cutout are the ones I understood were used at Auschwitz.
    Meaning the can for sale is quite likely not even related to the crime implied. Zyklon A, B, and C were filled into the same identical cans (C is really ugly in that it's PS the chemical weapon)

"Why?" On earth Someone feels the need to own one of these is a damned good question.

They’re historical items at the end of the day, no different than much of the other Second World War militaria we collect. It is a strange dissonance that exists within this hobby. Some balk at the prospect of owning items directly connected to the Shoah, while happily owning the regalia and ephemera of the SS — the organisation directly responsible for orchestrating it.

While there is something to be understood of disliking the collecting of stuff that’s ‘close to the bone’, I do not think there is anything wrong with keeping it as part of a collection as long as it is treated with the level of care and respect that it deserves.

B.B.

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    Zyklon B was supplied from 1922 in at least 3 different sizes as a Pestizide. The small cans with a large Maschine made cutout are the ones I understood were used at Auschwitz.
    Meaning the can for sale is quite likely not even related to the crime implied. Zyklon A, B, and C were filled into the same identical cans (C is really ugly in that it's PS the chemical weapon)

"Why?" On earth Someone feels the need to own one of these is a damned good question.
    Just to add context.

Supplied by IG Farben (incorporating BASF, AGFA Hoechst and Bayer [yep as in Bayer Leverkusen] et al) I think it was a cyanide compound originally intended to de-louse prisoners clothing and of course IG Farben thought that the increase in quantities they were supplying was just business success! Well, if the customer was happy eh?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yup. Zyklon B is basically just Pellets soaked in hydrogen cyanide.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Just to add context.

Supplied by IG Farben (incorporating BASF, AGFA Hoechst and Bayer [yep as in Bayer Leverkusen] et al) I think it was a cyanide compound originally intended to de-louse prisoners clothing and of course IG Farben thought that the increase in quantities they were supplying was just business success! Well, if the customer was happy eh?

Regards

Mark
    I read somewhere that it was originally used as a rat poison in the sewers of Hamburg and that then lead to the idea of perverting its use for other things in Poland

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    I read somewhere that it was originally used as a rat poison in the sewers of Hamburg and that then lead to the idea of perverting its use for other things in Poland
    I think that quite likely amongst many other applications because it was as Teck says a commercial pesticide before the war.

Regards

Mark

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    The official Story doesn't refer to Hamburg. It was delivered from the start of the war like Mark said as a delousing Agent. HCN is however much more deadly for warm blooded creatures so serves as no real surprise that around '42 it's use was perverted.
    IG Farben has even been accused of removing the idicators about this time so they must have know about the Perversion

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    The official Story doesn't refer to Hamburg. It was delivered from the start of the war like Mark said as a delousing Agent. HCN is however much more deadly for warm blooded creatures so serves as no real surprise that around '42 it's use was perverted.
    IG Farben has even been accused of removing the idicators about this time so they must have know about the Perversion
    Quite so. I don't doubt the hierarchy at IG Farben were fully cognizant of the perversion. A certain quantity would have been required for the stated purpose which would surely be significantly less than the actual quantity procurred. This is just part of the reasoning behind the trial of IG Farben directors at Nuremburg and the subsequent dismembering of the conglomerate by the Allies into the component companies. We could easily go far off topic here with Pelikan, the makers of Quink Ink and Hugo Boss, when they designed those really snappy duds during the TR

Regards

Mark

?

Hi,
    See the movie "Amen" (2002) with Ulrich Tukur. They explain how they thought about Zyklon B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast