Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Zyklon tins..

Article about: Hi Everyone. Deliberated long and hard about posting these items. Previous similiar threads have attract some negative responses and questions such as "why?"...so at the risk of op

?

Can you provide a diameter measurement of the tin

Apologies to all who have objected to elements of my post or misread the intent behind some parts of it, it was never my intention to upset anyone or say anything controversial . I did not want a broader discussion as thats not why I posted the items. Due to previous comments on threads I felt the need for the historical reminder and to challenge some views that have been posted on here about the motivations behind collecting items like these.

My personal opinion is that the two tins shown in the original post are fake. I base this on the condition of metal tin compared to the paper label. Given the rust on the tin I would expect that paper labels would lift in places and be “dog eared” and not have very straight edges and corners. These are containers that are designed to be used and thrown away and yet other than rust bleeding I see no marks, rips, scratches, etc. Have a look at any paper labels you have on anything in your shed and you’ll see what I mean, then bear in mind that these are meant to be 80 years old and stored in a location that has caused rust then I would expect more damage to the labels.

Will post pics with measurements shown tomorrow

The three tins have been kept in a house in a glass display cabinet since they were put there just after the war...not a shed. Points noted but not comparing like for like in my book. If you visit the Aushwitz museum site the have many examples of tims, many with labels completely intact although the tins are corroded.

I have visited Auschwitz, and can recall the seal around the lip of the tin being different on the ones I saw. There were cans of various sizes, of differing heights but of roughly the same diameter, and the lid seal was identical on all of them. The cans that started this thread look as if they were designed to be opened by removal of the lid, where originals (or at least all those sent to the Auschwitz complex) were factory sealed and could only be cut open. Hydrogen cyanide is not something you want released accidentally, so this is understandable.

One final point, though not a write-off: as others have pointed out, the corrosion on these tins all looks very fresh. Many authentic canisters are indeed corroded, but this corrosion is either treated or no longer active. 'Red' rust is new rust, and that's not a good sign unless these cans have been stored poorly fairly recently, which according to previous posts in this thread they haven't.

B.B.

?

I agree with what’s been said before me

Here is my final point on why I think these might be fake. The poor cutting job of the labels themselves. They have very human cutting edges around the black line with excess bits of paper in a wavy fashion. Surely if these were to be mass produced in a factory they would be cutting in a very straight and precise manner. Not with a child like efficiency

These lead me to think someone printed these on a larger piece of paper and cut them out with scissors for applying on these tins

Zyklon tins..Zyklon tins..Zyklon tins..

?

JB makes a good point there. Some dubious points! Buy the item, not the story.

The holes in the tins also made me wonder...maybe a bit perfect ? I would have expected a jagged hole of sorts, not a lot of care given to getting the contents out etc... just my thoughts
    Paul

“These were purchased at a market in France from a gent aged 50ish who had inherited his dad's farm locally. He said his father had travelled around Europe at wars end and had visited Buchenwald where he had collected many items.”

Quote by Combatzone View Post
    The three tins have been kept in a house in a glass display cabinet since they were put there just after the war...not a shed. Points noted but not comparing like for like in my book. If you visit the Aushwitz museum site the have many examples of tims, many with labels completely intact although the tins are corroded.
    Buchenwald was liberated by the Americans in April 1945 and maintained a presence there until August 1945 when it became a Russian NKVD camp. It remained a NVKD camp until 1950 after which a lot of it was razed to the ground. I would question how and why the man collected the cans at wars end and why he chose to display them in a glass case since that time. Maybe he was very forward thinking?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast