Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Article about: What do you think about this pommel on this kriegsmarine dagger? Rest of the dagger looks kinda good, but I'm not sure this is a known version of a pommel. The dagger is a Carl Eickhorn one

Default Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

What do you think about this pommel on this kriegsmarine dagger? Rest of the dagger looks kinda good, but I'm not sure this is a known version of a pommel. The dagger is a Carl Eickhorn one with a furry squirrel as trademark, which from my understanding places it between 38-41? Is it possible this is a very worn replacement pommel from when they changed from the old ball pommel to the swastika ones? And is it possible that the eagle is this well worn when the dagger in other parts (including hangers) are in an overall good shape?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers
    P
    Many

Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Here's some additional pictures, if that helps.

?

Hi whataboutthisone,
    in my opinion the dagger itself seems to be a late reichsmarine dagger 1929 with replacement eagle.
    Best,
    Oleg.

Thanks you so much for the answer Oleg, really appreciate it,

Do you mean that it seems like a genuine replacement eagle from 1938 and not a reproduction? And also, can the hangers be made in another material than aluminum?
    I'm in the position to buy it for 600 dollar, which I think is a pretty good price

?

I don’t think that the pommel a repro is. That looks similar to Eickhorn pommel but I think that’s a replacement one.
    The hangers were not only available in aluminum.

Alright, thank you Oleg! Much appreciated!

Oleg is our Top Rated Doctor in Kriegsmarine ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Oh, and one more thing: Did these daggers come with paper bags labeled "original eickhorn" or is that an afterwar production bag? The ones I've seen have had "eickhorn" on it or something else

?

Hi Whataboutthisone,
    the bags I cannot judge: I do not collect those. Here is a picture of the bag from my friend’s collection.
    Maybe it could be helpful for you.
    Best,
    Oleg.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers  

Hello again!

Having decided to purchase this dagger from my earlier post, I just want to double check whether the accompanying accessories are all original to the dagger.

Scabbard: From what I've read, the fittings should be separate entities. In other "mint condition" daggers these really do stick out. My dagger is well worn, so maybe they have eroded down a little, why they don't pop out as much. I can't really tell. The top ring show traces of the scabbard being worn though which I'd argue speaking for it being authentic, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Pictures:
    Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Portepee: Does it look authentic?

Paper bag: Did the daggers come with these from the factory when produced? I've only managed to find one similar on the internet but nothing was said about its origins. (It just says 'factory bags' and were sold for 160 USD in 2016). The dagger does fit in it, but the pommel sticks out the top so maybe it was a bag for the dagger before the pommel was attached to it? I am not sure the paper bag have anything to do with the dagger, it was just something the seller sent with the dagger, as he assumed they belonged together.
    Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Hangers: The hangers are all aluminium with the buckles almost 100% intact gilt. The dagger and scabbard are both well worn, but the buckles seems to be mint, which to me seems a little weird, but maybe there can be some logical reason behind? They look authentic though from what I gather. The clippers are quite worn though and lost maybe 60% of its gilt.

Kriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangersKriegsmarine 1st model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

The makers mark: From my understanding makes it a dagger made in 1936, see source: wardaggers.com - Carl Eickhorn Maker Marks

If there is anything else you want picture of or come to think about, just let me know.
    Last edited by whataboutthisone; 03-11-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast