Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eickhorn KM advice, please

Article about: Good day, gentlemen, I have happened upon this KM Eickhorn, which looks good to me (albeit not the shiniest example), but I certainly value your expertise. The tip has been rounded and there

?

Default Eickhorn KM advice, please

Good day, gentlemen,
    I have happened upon this KM Eickhorn, which looks good to me (albeit not the shiniest example and pretty unremarkable in its detail), but I certainly value your expertise. I’m struggling to find much in the way of precise information on the KM dolch, but I think it’s fairly early production (or “mid-period” - whenever that was), from the Eickhorn mark, and of reasonably high quality.

On the minus side, the tip has been rounded (I know there was a period when this was quite common practice, with people terrified of being arrested for ownership), and there are a few dings to the lower scabbard, but I have no intention of paying the enormous prices these things now command, as I’m not a dagger collector, per se, and this one is reasonably priced.

I have single examples of the Heer and Luftwaffe dolch, and have long planned to add a Kriegsmarine example to complete the Wehrmacht set.
    My thanks in advance for your thoughts,
    Robert

Double-checking the listing, it seems the scabbard throat screws are missing. How difficult is it to find replacements?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eickhorn KM advice, please   Eickhorn KM advice, please  

Eickhorn KM advice, please   Eickhorn KM advice, please  

Eickhorn KM advice, please  
    Last edited by Kohima; 10-08-2023 at 11:10 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn KM advice, please
    P
    Many

?

Any comment?
    I just need to know if it’s worth getting. It looks good to me, but I would like some details on what I’m looking at (age, homogeneity, &c).
    Many thanks.
    Hoping this won’t get buried in a pile of photographs of people wearing hats,
    Rob

?

Hi Rob,

here a link for a win win situation, as you don't learn any thing if i would say yes its good or no its not....
    easiest way to gain knowledge and make your own determination is to compare this one to the ones of the Navy dagger website of Oleg, and YES he knows his marines....
    Compare material, grip wire, eagle, and scabbard bands, then look at the etch, does it bears the Ancor or the sailing ships etc.

-Eickhorn, Carl - kriegsmarinedolch

Regards
    Ger

?

I think am going to have to let this go, as I do not have the confidence or experience to make a sound call on its originality.
    As far as I can tell, it’s of early production, albeit from the most common manufacturer, but all the bits seem to be homogeneous. I’m fine with that, though this example has a couple of issues; primarily, the condition of the blade (deliberately rounded tip), and missing scabbard throat screws.
    I guess the screws might be found, from a donor scabbard, but the modification to the blade cannot be undone.
    A replacement blade might turn up (which will have to be a perfect match in age and detail), but at what price?
    My guess is that it’s wiser to spend more on a better example in the first place, but, not being a dagger collector, that is not something that appeals (as this is already at my acceptable budget). The blade would spend most of its life in the scabbard anyway, but it would be nice to have something comparable to the Luftwaffe and Heer examples I have.