Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger

Article about: I caught this on a site. It is an Imperial dagger, but (to a dagger novice like me) appears to be TR production. Is that correct, or is it a parts dagger?:

Default Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger

I caught this on a site. It is an Imperial dagger, but (to a dagger novice like me) appears to be TR production. Is that correct, or is it a parts dagger?:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger   Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger  

Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger   Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger  

Attached Images Attached Images Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger  Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger
    P
    Many

Hi StoneMint welcome to the forum ........3 things caught my eye which I am not comfortable with,,but I am hopeful our Kriegsmarine dagger aficionado member Dr73..aka " Danny" will give some supporting knowledge of this dagger.
    In the photos supplied.....The scabbard looks to be a whole stamped out shell and not separate construction of the carrying bands. These Imperial daggers were not spared any detail during construction and assembly..I would expect nothing less than perfection with this type of dagger.
    Another issue I see is the grip being very clean and bright and not any inclination of dullness or a darkened toning of the grip especially around the grip wire. Most of the time ..there would be visible in the recess beneath the wire some sort of patination. What is more disturbing on a primo example like this..is that the grip wire is loose.....very loose up around the top part of the grip.

Eickhorn had a logo variant with just the squirrel alone and nothing around it,,but this is a first to see with one with a circle around it. This dagger in my opinion is repro.. What I have mentioned above..is a few things that collectors look for...which also the nail in the coffin shows that there is not any sign of the smallest increment of Gilding left on the whole dagger. None!!... hard to believe this would be an Imperial dagger looking this clean and shiny.
    The Etch???.............these I dont touch...and would reserve only for comments of the sharpest eyes who can see the differences in photos.
    Truly when brass is cleaned..it stays shiney for a while and eventually quickens to a dull patina.....but this one looks like it just came from..........I would like to hear other opinions also on this especially from our Naval experts. The $64 question........what is this being offered for..which will also set the stage that its repro. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

love kriegsmarine daggers,but I think Larry has called it right.

If possible the more photos the better for an analysis
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Welcome stonemint its about time you strayed away from the cap section lol I never saw an eickhorn logo like that ever, and I have alot of books and daggers with eickhorn logos on them, either this is a rare one of a kind prototype or chinese made junk...I would bet on the latter. Thats my two cents.

Thanks, guys--I will now go back to where I belong....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Your welcome here anytime...there is always........ALOT ...of beer here. OktoberFest is coming up soon too
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger 

The very distinctive Squirrel in this Eickhorn motto is identical to one used in 1933-35, but it is lacking the rest of the mark(a surrounding double circle with Carl Eickhorn Solingen and 2 stars, as well as C.E. below the Squirrel itself. I have never seen the above version on any piece-Naval or otherwise. If for this reason and nothing else, I definitely do not like this piece. The crown pummel looks Possibly good and May be original,but I doubt it. The cross guard looks too softly detailed to my eyes. The white grip also looks like a repro.

Imperial Kriegsmarine Eickhorn etched reproduction dagger
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks like a very good reproduction.

?

At best I believe this could be a parts dagger ,the areas that ,to me are suspect, the blade itself has no patination,in fact at the very bottom ,where the catch is, there appears to be rough metal,the brass collar looks too big,and the felt washer is far too clean and new looking,I agree about the grip, a possible repro,the pommel could be an original and possibly the cross guard,the scabbard does look strange with those hanger ring collars, the logo is unfinished although quite a lot of work has gone into this piece but not much research into a naval imperial dagger and its workmanship

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast