Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Article about: Can anyone help identify this dagger to type? My father-in-law took this from a dead officer during W.W. II and I always assumed it was army. I now suspect its naval. Thanks in advance.

?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Can anyone help identify this dagger to type? My father-in-law took this from a dead officer during W.W. II and I always assumed it was army. I now suspect its naval. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers   Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers
    P
    Many

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

hi and welcome i would agree with you its a navel dagger from kreigsmarine alan or ade will tell you for sure

regards ewan

?

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers

Hi and welcome , Ewan is correct in that you have a kreigsmarine dagger with a nice set of hangers . The knot is not applied correctly however , and imo is not original to the dagger
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

looks like a nice kreigs or navy dagger.
    the knot is not an issue for me . because people played with these things after the war, and may just have had it's knot untied by a curious kid, but who knows. the cord looks long enough to be right. and looks authentic.
    some things make you want to cry. i bought an army dagger from a vet who had it hanging on a wall with some other things. his wife thought the hangers were to long. so she cut them shorter and glued them. value of these things are relitive to it's owner at the time. just my opinion.

?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi and welcome , Ewan is correct in that you have a kreigsmarine dagger with a nice set of hangers . The knot is not applied correctly however , and imo is not original to the dagger
    Thanks to all replies above. Its been stored in an attic trunk along with his uniform and a few other things he brought home with him. The knot not being correctly applied could be from any number of reasons including three kids!!

?

Again, thank you for the information. As a side note, here is a picture of him (on your left) and a buddy with another prized trophy that was taken some time after Bastogne. He was a member of the 4th Armored Division, 25th Cavalry Recon. Mechanized, Troop C "that saved" the 101st Airborne!! Please don't tell any 101st veterans I said that!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger with portepee and hangers  

Hi, welcome to the forum from me.

The guys have comfirmed for you correctly the id of the dagger. It is a great example, made even better by knowing exactly who liberated it.

The photo is great too! Do you still have the flag?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum from me.

The guys have comfirmed for you correctly the id of the dagger. It is a great example, made even better by knowing exactly who liberated it.

The photo is great too! Do you still have the flag?

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade ~ Although I do have a flag like this, the one in the picture must have went home with the "other guy"!

Quote by PA Reb View Post
    Again, thank you for the information. As a side note, here is a picture of him (on your left) and a buddy with another prized trophy that was taken some time after Bastogne. He was a member of the 4th Armored Division, 25th Cavalry Recon. Mechanized, Troop C "that saved" the 101st Airborne!! Please don't tell any 101st veterans I said that!!
    hi again nice photo i love pics like these , i think sometime we should start a thread for any pics of these vets with there souviners as theres some great photos like these out there

p.s those red letters are playing with my eyes

?

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    hi again nice photo i love pics like these , i think sometime we should start a thread for any pics of these vets with there souviners as theres some great photos like these out there

p.s those red letters are playing with my eyes
    Sorry about the color - it won't happen again ! About the liberation of that dagger - here's what my daughter just told me this morning;

"Grandpa told me he took it off an officer that they raided their house and took his family prisoners. His wife and child where there too. I can't remember the city he said it was. It was the same city that there was a bank burning and some other people were taking money to send back home, but someone told him not to, that it wouldn't make it back home anyway and even if it did, it wouldn’t be worth anything. So he didn't take any of it".

I do know a 4th Armored reseacher that is in contact with a another veteran of the 25th Cavalry only he was in Troop B. As far as I know, Troops B and C were almost always on the line together or at least very close to one another. He might be able to help me pin down this city with the burning bank - we'll see! Its amazing how much information one can piece together as different veterans tell their stories or from others telling stories they were told.

I also agree that a thread to post old pictures of the veterans that were taken during their experiences would be great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast