Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need Authentication

Article about: I see these from time to time and they are always associated with "funeral". These have always confused me. What is the historical background if any. Is this just a standard Navy w

?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need Authentication

I see these from time to time and they are always associated with "funeral". These have always confused me. What is the historical background if any. Is this just a standard Navy with post WWII added black grip? Or a 20's grip added to a WWII dagger for looks? Is this particular dagger original with just a black grip added? Rebuilt? Inter warKriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need Authentication?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model "Funeral" dagger - Need Authentication
    P
    Many

Old wives tale about any black grips being associated with Funerals... nothing supports it.

There is a Kriegsmarine organization called the Water protection police that had these type grips.
    Member dr73 / Danny ..or Member Oleg will be able to comment further on that unit.

The controversial Railway Water Protection Police Dagger

The dagger itself appears to be parted together and with the blade appearing to be unmarked is not period.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The black gripped Navy daggers I believe came out in 1919, subsequent to the scuttling of the Imperial Navy fleet at Scapa Flow. They are occasionally referred to as “mourning” daggers. They did exist but were different in fittings from the M38 Navy daggers we ordinarily see.

I would agree with Larry that this one seems to be a later dagger with a black grip added for effect.

?

Hi Svt40,
    the first thing to say here is that only two types of German naval daggers, the 1919 and 1921 pattern, had black grips. No "funeral" daggers actually existed. Now let's talk about what we see on the poor quality pictures, we'll go from top to bottom. Replacement eagle, the grip has been replaced (when and by whom, we will not know). Crossguard cannot be seen well on these pictures. In my opinion it looks to be by Höller. Green felt was also added later and is not original. I also consider the blade not original. The scabbard ist by WKC.
    Best,
    Oleg.

I found the listing. The seller has on occasion sold the odd period piece or two but that is purely coincidental. Nearly everything I’ve seen from him has been humped up “unique” crap.

Not that you needed any more prompting but definitely stay away.

"humped up “unique” crap."

Beautifully said Billy.