Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 mit schwertern

Article about: Cheers Everyone, I just wanted to share a recent find of mine, a war merit cross first class with swords. I found this at an antique mall, and although it is rough, I couldn't pass it up for

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 mit schwertern

Cheers Everyone,

I just wanted to share a recent find of mine, a war merit cross first class with swords. I found this at an antique mall, and although it is rough, I couldn't pass it up for $10. is there any way that it could be cleaned up a bit without damaging it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 mit schwertern   Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 mit schwertern  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 mit schwertern
    P
    Many

For this type of medal, $10 is a fantastic deal. Assuming of course that it's an authentic piece.

Looks like a zincer that's suffering from a bad case of pest. The general consensus seems to be that the effects of zinc pest are irreversible, but I've heard that some collectors have success with a soak in Coca Cola or something similar. I wouldn't go too heavy with any cleaning, as anything strong enough to take care of the pest will surely attack the base zinc as well.

In all honesty, if it were mine, I'd keep it as it is. More of a personal opinion than anything else, as I wouldn't want to risk any damage.

Regards, B.B.

If it's zinc smothter it in vaseline!...

Will the Vaseline help protect it from pest?

Yeah a very tired Steinhauer & Luck '4' KVK1.

The vaseline won't protect the cross, but it may delay it from rotting any further. Just a thin coat, leave for a day and then remove. At least it'll bring a little shine to the zinc seeing as it has gobbled up all the silver finish.

Not bad for the price though.