MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help!

Article about: Hello Gentleman, I am new to the group and I have been very impressed with the knowledge you all have. I am a novice collector/buyer and a while back I bought some WWII German items on an on

?

Default Need help!

Hello Gentleman,
    I am new to the group and I have been very impressed with the knowledge you all have. I am a novice collector/buyer and a while back I bought some WWII German items on an online auction, I must confess I can be a little too trusting at times, and I just assumed the medals I was buying were genuine. I am embarrassed to say I'm a bit ignorant on this matter, and it never dawned on me there are fakes out there. On December 30th 2013 I had a very bad heart attack and actually died three times that day, but after 3 shocks with the paddles and two new platinum stints in my heart I am still kicking! I need to sell my items to pay for some of my medical bills, but the last thing I want to do is sell an item that maybe a reproduction, and this is where I need your help. Please take a look at my photos and give me your opinion which ones are real and which ones are not. I did a black light test on the medal ribbons and the Spanish Blue Division glowed Thank you for your feedback.

Respectfully,
    Dan W.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer
    USN Retired

Need help!Need help!Need help!Need help!Need help!Need help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help!
    P
    Many

Really sorry that you need to sell your collection Dan!....

?

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues but glad you are feeling better now.

I can't really comment on the Spanish medal as it is outside of my collecting area but I'm not keen based upon the quality.

The KVK1 marked for Deschler is a fake piece unfortunately. The reverse set up is wrong and the overall execution is lacking the crispness we associate with Deschler.

The KVK2 on the other hand is good. A zinc piece with length of original ribbon. The drawback is, these are very common and command lowly prices.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you Adrian for your fast reply, you have an awesome website

Hi Dan, the Spanish Medal is original as these were made for Veterans. These are all postwar made so the ribbons will glow.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum and get well soon.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thank you, turns out most of it is fake, so it is no real loss....

?

Cool I have a winner! Thank you

you have 2 winners,the Spanish one is ok post war vet.

?

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, but glad you have made it through!

Be careful about the 'black light test.' It can be a decent indication of originality, but not foolproof. Lots of things can make old cloth glow, including having been cleaned with chemicals. Also, some new things will not glow, so it's not 100% either way.

All the best with your health Dan, and along with the others can I say thanks for your service.
    ( even though I'm not American)
    Cheers, another Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast