Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latvian pre-WW2 “Latvijas Aizsardzes” Paramilitary Org Brooch

Article about: Hello. I just purchased what was described to me as a brooch for the Latvian “Latvijas Aizsardzes” (LA) – the paramilitary force in Latvia between 1919 and 1940. When researching the L

Default Latvian pre-WW2 “Latvijas Aizsardzes” Paramilitary Org Brooch

Hello. I just purchased what was described to me as a brooch for the Latvian “Latvijas Aizsardzes” (LA) – the paramilitary force in Latvia between 1919 and 1940. When researching the LA though, and seeing badges from that time period, the symbolism on this brooch does not match – especially the swastika – or as the seller said, a ‘rune.’ I, of course, have a number of questions:

1. is this a real LA article?
    2. if so, is it a brooch, or something else?
    3. if it is LA, what is significance of the swastika/rune?
    4. is it dated pre-1940?
    5. it is 875 silver. It also has the mintmark ‘BB’ – do you know what this is for?
    6. do you know if this ‘brooch’ was common or rare?

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Linas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latvian pre-WW2 “Latvijas Aizsardzes” Paramilitary Org Brooch   Latvian pre-WW2 “Latvijas Aizsardzes” Paramilitary Org Brooch  

Hi there 1)Yes it is Latvian article. 2)It is a brooch from first independent republic of Latvia times pre ww2 from paramilitary civilian organisation mens where called Aizsargi(defenders) and womens aizsardzes(defenderes) in this case it is from womens organisation! 3)LA-Latvijas Aizsardzes(Latvian Defenderers) thous two which you call runes in Latvia we call a Fire crosses! 4) As far as I know this brooch was first issued in 1925 and where issued till 1940 when Soviet Union occupy us! 5) BB probably is maker but at the moment I cant tell you which one! 6) 14,810 women officially where in organisation so how many more where issued I dont know!Also I dont know is this original item or just some copy as I have never saw original one just find some info for you without pictures,but description about brooch seems to be right!
    Regards Rolands

Thank you Rolands!