Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Duxford Air Show crash.

Article about: I saw these two Mustangs do a flying display at East Kirkby a couple of years ago and they gave me goosebumps, such a shame but thankfully no one was hurt Nick

?

Default Duxford Air Show crash.

I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet, a P-51 Mustang 'Big Beautiful Doll' and a Skyraider collided at the Duxford Air Show on Sunday. No-one was hurt but there is one less P-51 in the world now unfortunately.....

Duxford Air Show Crash

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Duxford Air Show crash.

Here is a link to the video of the crash,,,http://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../86306...r-display.html

At least they and the audiance came away unhurt.
    You never hear much if there is no blood and guts for people to see.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Thank god the pilot got away unarmed. But too bad for the plane
    One less in the world.

I've been following this since it happened on various forums. Both pilots were very, very fortunate to make it under the circumstances, and that bail out was stupendously low to be able to survive, never mind walk away from. I bet he's the first chap to bail out of a Mustang over the U.K. for well over 60 years, and he's the latest member to join the catterpillar club too!

Without wanting to conject too much on what caused the 'Doll' to go down so quickly that the pilot had only a few seconds to step out, there were several photo's on the net that showed that the 'Spad's' wing tip and leading edge actually struck the rear of the under fuselage radiator, shearing a large hole through it. This area contains the cables for the elevators and rudder. Most of the pic's have since been pulled, either for monetary reasons, or for the CAA/AAIB investigation I guess.

At the end of the day it's a very sad loss, BBD was probably the finest of her type flying in the U.K. today, but let us rejoice that everybody in the air and on the ground at Duxford on Sunday got to go home o.k. You can always rebuild these things again these days, it just costs alot of money, but it can be done.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Duxford Air Show crash.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

It was a relatively low bail out but i looked at the height from when the chute first deployed and it appeared he was some 300-350feet , the chute would have fully deployed very soon after, i reckon the bail out took place at about 500feet allowing for his reactions , velocity etc, the actual collision height will no doubt be determined in the investigation, but as i understand it there is an operational height for aerial display manouvers, that will obviously have an impact as to the true bailout height

YouTube - ‪Close Up, Planes collide during Duxford air display. www.AirCrashObserver.com‬‏
    link on youtube as can't get the telegraph one it shows the p51 hitting the rear of the other plan but thats it. its a miricale they both survived you could see a big bit come off

tom

?

There is a video at the bottom of the Daily Mail page in the opening post link.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet, a P-51 Mustang 'Big Beautiful Doll' and a Skyraider collided at the Duxford Air Show on Sunday. No-one was hurt but there is one less P-51 in the world now unfortunately.....

Duxford Air Show Crash
    Im very glad there were no fatalities-but oh noooo that beautiful P-51!!!

?

Yes , ive watched that video Adrian and viewed the comments made by some other display pilots who have flown with the P51 pilot, it seems that the Skyraider lost sight of the P51 when performing a split fan in order to safely seperate all three aircraft , pulling up too soon into the path of the mustang but i doubt we will know anything definative until the investigators have done their job

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast