Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Military Odyssey

Article about: Popped down to the Kent county show ground for this years Military Odyssey on the 27th August (just missed that bridge collapse on the M20 fortunately) a show for reanactors from all periods

yet again we miss each other...if I didn't know better........... :-)

anyway, we'll try to leave you some scraps......

This will be the first show I'm going into 'blind'. I have absolutely no plans for what I want to buy, so it'll be like Christmas in a way. Except, you know, I have to pay for the presents.

If anyone happens to spot me, I'll be wearing the Dad's Army shirt I was supposed to wear last time. Will most likely be at the tea room in the indoor hall around lunchtime. Looking forward to the show, and hopefully bumping into one or two of you.

Best of luck to everyone. May you all find what you're looking for!

B.B.

Smile

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I have absolutely no plans for what I want to buy........
    He's just saying that to stop us snapping it up on Saturday !

Thumbs up

Well, I have to say that this was a very pleasant 'boys day out' indeed !

Weather just right, a better selection of stalls than in 2017, and....a Forum Meet actually happened !

It was great fun for Granatwerfer and me to finally meet up with Composite + Composite Jnr at Kradman's very own stall - and a chance to meet the legendary Marcus Cotton of British helmet fame. A very nice bunch of people, I must say.....

Everyone seemed to have 'done well', GW with a bag full of shells & casings, Composite with a couple of British helmets. As for me, I avoided frittering my cash on odds'n'ends and bought one thing I really 'needed' ; a complete 1944-dated 17-pounder armour piercing shell ( courtesy of Mr Kos ).

Yes, a good day. Here are a couple of pics ( rather munitions-heavy, but that's what we do... ), including one which includes four members of this Forum......

Military Odyssey

Military Odyssey

Military Odyssey

Military Odyssey
    Last edited by Martin Bull; 08-25-2018 at 07:32 PM.

It was indeed a pleasure to hook up at last .......and it was a good Fair for us too. I heard someone was selling the 17pndr round that took out Wittmans tiger....... :-)

From a Helmet angle.....it would seem that the Mk7 dam has been breached....I’ve never seen so many 7s for sale.....virtually everywhere....from as low as £25 to up to £55.....yep, cheaper than probably half the 6s there. But, a lot of them, across a number of dealers, had so-called custom paint jobs...which I found very unusual ...especially as the paint tones were shared.... I kinda thought that there were covers for that....and/or that SF guys tended to go a bit more Gucci than spray painted 7s.

‘Still not seeing any (hardly) 6As....and it was suggested today that they’d been quietly withdrawn following quality issues - this was a new one to me but it might go some way to explain their rarity.

There were a lot of 6s.....and I looked at a lot of them....nowt early, no special manufacturers and no secret stashes of rubber darts.....Greg.... the most expensive I saw was £40.....FORTY!!!!

Lots of 4s and 5s, the latter being hessian’d-up, netted and scrimmed.......nice

Re the rest.....I wish I could say that the number of stalls had increased....but it certainly didn’t feel like it. Gone are the days of a visiting Challie 2 with some of our brave boys although the usual collection of German Half Tracks, anti tank guns, faux German Tanks along with some nice Brit, US and Russian metal were there.

The impressive and immensely broad collection of re-enactors continue....ranging from Hoplites to Delta.....US Civil War to WW2 Red Army...... their presentations and commitment have to be commended.

.....as I tend to find nowadays, the highlights of these events for me is the people stuff......there’s some great folk out there beyond the keyboards........you oughta meet some....

Just got back myself, Another cracking day out, Spent a happy day wandering through the displays the attention to detail by the reenactors (from all century's & decades) was simply astounding 17 quid for a day out like this is a bargain imo. I was rather expecting to spend a bit but unusually (for me ) I didn't. There was a lot of stuff to choose from , lots original ,lots fake , I noticed that some of the fakes were priced very expensively but not at the same price as an original maybe in an attempt to deceive someone they were getting a bargain! caveat emptor . Found a nice Haenel SA dagger, would have bought it but the scabbard had a bit of damage never mind one will turn up cheers Paul

Military OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary OdysseyMilitary Odyssey

Some great pictures here

You can't beat a good day out at a Military/Militaria display, with all the goodies on show.

Super that people take the time to put on these displays.

Love the crashed WW1 German plane.

Glad to hear it's a good show this year, and also glad that I'll be missing the torrential rain tomorrow! As for buying bits for the collection, I now may or may not have my eye on something...

B.B.

Was great catch up with forum members again and a great show to go to

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast