Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reenactment paintball trench

Article about: I dug this trench a couple years back but I just started to add walls and sandbags to mak it look realistic. I took inspiration from the movie ”1917” and various war photographs from WW1

?

even RAT'S have to eat. and there was and endless supply of food. sometimes, little chunks of flesh and sometimes a whole body.

Quote by toot View Post
    even RAT'S have to eat. and there was and endless supply of food. sometimes, little chunks of flesh and sometimes a whole body.
    Oh, I know. And, generally, I like rats/rodents as pets. I've had many gerbils as pets over the years. However, I realize they were a huge problem for the trenches and the majority of the soldiers hated them. Especially because of the way the rats would go after the wounded and dead. There's stories of wounded being chewed on by rats if they couldn’t defend themselves. Then, of course, eating decomposing bodies - they were known to eat the soft parts first like eyes, and was reported that they would burrow into the bodies to eat them.

One account that usually comes to mind about rats is this passage written by British poet/author Robert Graves in his book, Goodbye to All That: "Rats came up from the canal, fed on the plentiful corpses, and multiplied exceedingly. While I stayed here with the Welch, a new officer joined the company and, in token of welcome, was given a dug-out containing a spring-bed. When he turned in that night he heard a scuffling, shone his torch on the bed, and found two rats on his blanket tussling for the possession of a severed hand."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2