Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Alcoso 2nd model etch - for review

Article about: Good Evening - Haven't been online in a while, but ran across this LW Alcoso dagger with the etched flying eagle with swaz on it. I've seen the exact same etched LW dagger on Tom Wittman's s

?

Default Alcoso 2nd model etch - for review

Good Evening - Haven't been online in a while, but ran across this LW Alcoso dagger with the etched flying eagle with swaz on it. I've seen the exact same etched LW dagger on Tom Wittman's site and the etchings look the same except his is a no name blade. This Alcoso blade looks cleaner than Tom's. I do have his LW research book and assuming the blade is legit, I've spent about 4 hours researching every piecy part i can find. Here is my assessment:

1. don't know much about engraving but it looks exactly like the LW etched dagger on TW's website. So I'm gonna say it is legit.
    2. Pommel - making comparisons, i think this one is either a generic or WKC
    3.Scabbard - Generic as shown on page 179 of the LW book
    4.Crossguard - Generic or WKC just comparing the right leaves over the left leaves and what looks comparable.
    5. If what I think is right, would this be considered a parts dagger. With so many manufacturers buying the hilt parts, scabbards and other parts (even between the big boys), i don't know what is considered a parts dagger anymore. The one on TWs site has generic parts, WKC parts, etc. on a non name dagger and makes it sounds like its an orthodox dagger. To me it sounds like a pig with lipstick on it. Just like this one does. But i guess when you are in a world war, just get it out the door. Who cares about a dress dagger anyway,

I'd like to get you experts opinions to see what yall have to say and critique my assessment. This is my first attempt and just want to see if i am anywhere in the ball park. Thanks in advance for your expert insights.

If this one pans out, i may post another on this guy has that is another LW dagger, but more plain vanilla - i just like the color of the grip! Best, El Syd

Alcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for reviewAlcoso 2nd model etch - for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alcoso 2nd model etch - for review
    P
    Many

Junk

The Dodo bird on the blade etch trashes the whole dagger.

Check out some of the 2nd model ludt threads here with Voos etch and also Wittmann has one for sale showing the same of what an authentic etch and eagle looks like.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you Larry. I appreciate your prompt reply. I like that you are a man of few words: "junk". Can i ask you if my assessment of the other parts are correct or am i totally out in left field? Thanks again, ElSyd

Hi Syd ...crossguard and Pommel are authentic period ...the grip and grip wire looks brand new

I also agree with your research as well below:

Crossguard is either Generic or WKC
    Pommel is also Generic or WKC from the details compared to other WKC pommels

Parts dagger.

Continue the hunt

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry - thanks for confirming my assessment of the hilt parts. What did you think of my scabbard assessment while i still have you!

?

Larry - after looking at the "DoDo" bird of the fake, it looked like he hit a bf109 head on and got his beak smashed in. Pretty bad copy. I should have picked that up right away and stopped after that. But i did learn a lot by looking at the other parts and trying to match them up against TW's LW book. Ger would be proud of me. lol.
    Thanks again for your help, El Syd

IMO The blade was Spanish made, there's a company named 'Marto' in Toledo that made very good copies of ww2 german daggers back in the 70's

Nacho