Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife For New Collectors

Article about: I’m new to the site, I’ve been collecting gravity knives for just over 20 years. Thought I would share some information for new collectors about the SMF marked reproduction gravity knife

Default Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife For New Collectors

I’m new to the site, I’ve been collecting gravity knives for just over 20 years. Thought I would share some information for new collectors about the SMF marked reproduction gravity knife. I did a search to see if there were any previous posts that went into detail about this particular reproduction and didn’t see one.

This reproduction has well done and I’m a proud owner of two of these. I bought the knives back in 2001-2002 time frame from the now out of business Militaria Auction House in Kansas City. The knife was advertised as a period piece, which I later discovered was not. When I purchased the reproductions there wasn't a great deal of information about their authenticity.

The knife is marked as though it is an SMF knife (makers mark on the blade, RBNr number 0019 on the marlin spike). The knife has mix of markings that are found on SMF knives and Paul Weyersberg.
    It's not just the markings that are incorrect for the knife, there are several features that are not characteristic of period pieces.

Starting with the blade here is a list of what is wrong with the knife.
    The makers mark on the blade is incorrect. The reproduction blade maker’s mark is stamped as opposed to being acid etched. Errors in the reproduction maker’s mark include incorrect font, the Kings nose is rounded where on the original it is pointed. When compared side by side you can see the differences in the king’s sword, font, and lines.
    Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New Collectors

Also the blade has a high mirror polish and lacks a cross grain which is typically found on period pieces. The period blade in the picture is pretty beat up and not an example of the cross grain.

A not so obvious feature of the reproduction blade is it is made out of carbon steel as opposed to stainless steel as marked. I did a test on the blade with metal bluing at the weighted end of the knife (both of them). The reproduction blade took the bluing, I did the same test on a period blade. The period blade did not take the bluing.
    Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New CollectorsDetails About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New Collectors

On the end cap, the reproduction end cap is made up of 4 pieces of metal as opposed to two pieces. This hard to see, but looking at the inside of the end cap you can see two metal seams where there should only be one. I couldn’t get a decent picture to show this. If you have one in hand and look inside the cap you can see the two seams.

The arrow marked on the end cap is the style of arrow used by Paul Weyersberg and not SMF. Paul Weyersberg arrows have fletching’s (feathers) on the arrow, the SMF arrows do not have fletching’s.
    The arrow orientation on the reproduction end cap is in the direction found on Paul Weyersburg knives not SMF knives. The arrow tips on Paul Weyersberg knives point toward each other. The arrow tips on SMF knives point in the same direction.
    From top to bottom: Paul Weyersberg (0020), SMF (0019), Reproduction

Arrow orientation from top to bottom: Paul Weyersberg (0020), SMF (0019), Reproduction

The end cap on the reproduction is not as wide as period knives.
    Top to Bottom: Paul Weyersberg end cap, Reproduction cap

Top to Bottom: SMF (0019), Paul Weyersberg (0020), Reproduction

The numbering on the reproduction knife is inconsistent with other period pieces. Although not out of the realm of possibility, the numbers on the blade, end cap, body, and thumb latch match on the reproduction. This is typically not seen on period knives. The three main components with matching numbers on period pieces are the blade, end cap, and body.
    The number for the body on the reproduction is stamped on the plate which swivels/rotates open which is inconsistent with SMF knives. SMF placed the bench number in the blade box. Paul Weyersberg placed it on the side of the knife that swiveled.

Blade box, left to right: Reproduction, SMF (0019), Paul Weyersberg (0020)

Number placement left to right: Reproduction, SMF (0019), Paul Weyersberg (0020)

Looking at the springs, the marlin spike spring on the reproduction is secured with two rivets, as opposed to one rivet. SMF deviated from the original design of two rivets to secure the marlin spike spring to one before the take down version was produced and continued this with the take-down knives.
    SMF (0019) top, Reproduction bottom
    One rivet used to secure the spring on the SMF (top)
    Two rivets used to secure the spring on the reproduction (bottom)

The marlin spike spring on the reproduction doesn't fit the pattern/style found on period knives. The marlin spike spring on the reproduction lacks a hole and concave oval that is found on period springs.
    From top to bottom – period spring, BUND (green handled) spring, reproduction

The marlin spike is not dimensionally correct when compared to period knives. This can be seen when compared to period marlin spikes.
    The reproduction marlin spike is circled in red, period marlin spikes circled in green.

When the thumb latches are compared the thumb latch on the reproduction is slightly wider than period pieces.
    From top to bottom: Paul Weyersberg, SMF, Reproduction.

When measured with a dial caliper the sheet metal on the reproduction is thinner than what was found on both period takedown and non-takedown knives. This is hard to see by just looking, but when measured the difference can be seen.

The items listed above on the reproduction knives are the main things that I've noticed that are not consistent with period knives.
    Hopefully this helps a new collector to not make the same mistake that I made.
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New Collectors
    P
    Many

Hello Chris and welcome to the community and a very nice entrance as well

I would like to pin this thread in this subforum but would like to hear from a few more collectors as well. I have no doubts on your research...but would like the community to also be included in agreement as well.

Great stuff

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

As the time goes by we have more and more reproductions on the market.
    Currently there is a bunch of different makers who make reproductions that can easly fool even collectors.
    For example here is a photo of modern SMF copy.

?

Hello. I am worried that even with these knives, fakers are doing very well. If you have more information about Paul Weyersberg as well this would be a very useful forum thread.

Regards Georgi.

?

Are there any flaws with this copy?

Georgi.

?

Very informative first post. Thankyou. Great information that I will use.

Welcome Tim

Quote by Wolk View Post
    As the time goes by we have more and more reproductions on the market.
    Currently there is a bunch of different makers who make reproductions that can easly fool even collectors.
    For example here is a photo of modern SMF copy.

Scary stuff...even this repro the Kings nose is pointed.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Yes it's important to pay attention to details.
    For example if logo is acid etched or stamped. If etched logo is deep or barely on surface.
    Also look at the stamps on the spike.

The best way to avoid these new fakes is to compare them step by step with originals. The placement of rivets, the shape of lever, shape of ring for lanyard, details of the logo like shape of sword, shape of letters, hand, crown.

?

On 80% of these knives, the springs have been replaced maybe twice. Especially the knives on which the cross guard is not removed, very heavy repairs are made. With different models of daggers, I notice that the fake ones have all the markings and with fewer defects than the real ones.
    Show more details of this knife.

Georgi.

?

These replicas are not perfect, they have flaws but they are still much better than Pakistani fakes from years ago.
    Keep in mind that these flaws can be fixed in near future.

Here are photos of 2 replicas SMF, as you can see the biggest tellaway is mark on the spike and visibility of rivets, both can be easly fixed.

Details About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New CollectorsDetails About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New CollectorsDetails About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New CollectorsDetails About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New CollectorsDetails About SMF Reproduction Gravity Knife  For New Collectors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast