MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Dlv/lw1

Article about: Since not all members of the WRF, are present on other forums and Facebook, where I have a small group about DLV55 daggers. Therefore, I consider it useful to publish some of my thoughts her

?

Default Dlv/lw1

Since not all members of the WRF, are present on other forums and Facebook, where I have a small group about DLV55 daggers. Therefore, I consider it useful to publish some of my thoughts here as well. Colleagues, I am bringing to your judgment a little essay about DLV / LW1 dagger. At the moment I am preparing for publication a website about the varieties of DLV55 daggers. And your help will be useful to me both with photo materials and possibly with documents.

Quite often in collections there are LW1 M35 daggers, which feature scabbards fittings similar to M34 daggers. Among such daggers, there is only a part of manufacturers who previously produced the DLV55 model. It is logical to assume that those companies that made the old model began to manufacture a new one using their leftover stock parts. Thus, we can consider the period of production of such daggers in 1935, before the production of LW1 dagger. But as it is often said the devil is in the details.

First, among early manufactures Eickhorn and Weiersberg produced those transit daggers. For the rest of manufactures it was a new product, so it is impossible to claim that they progressed from the old model to a new one. Moreover, some "transitional" scabbards feature a new bottom fitting consisting of 2 segments, in contrast to 4 on DLV daggers. This proves that these are products of the new design. In addition to this there is another very significant feature. There are "transitional" daggers manufactured by Eickhorn. It would seem that everything is logical and there are no nuances. For transitional models this manufacturer used staples to retain scabbard mounts in contrast to DLV daggers of their production. All the daggers produced by this manufacturer featured screw mounts. Thus, it could not have been the company's leftover stock parts, the scabbard bottom fitting featured 2 segments. Subsequently, it can be assumed that a scabbard was made by a minor subcontractor according to a new design, but for technological reasons the mounts were done as it was previously. After the introduction of the new model, the demand on new daggers increased significantly, that is why we see so many manufacturers of the LW1 dagger. Probably due to a large number of orders, the manufacturers did not have enough time to fulfil orders completely by themselves. Therefore, some manufactures had to buy scabbards, which did not meet their standards. Another argument is that the staples are not a distinctive feature of the '34 model, but a feature of some manufacturers. As mentioned above, this resulted from technical capabilities. But by 1935 all companies had been able to make scabbards according to more advanced technology without staples.

Of course, these are assumptions, but they are based on the co-operation documents for other types of daggers, new manufactures of LW1 dagger who had no stock, and unusual Eickhorn scabbards. Thus, these daggers were produced at the same time as the standard ones, and are not transitional, which is the case with SA daggers, when the manufacturer produced early daggers to the new standards using the old components. In this case, I believe, the components were purchased from a subcontractor if the company could not keep up with the main order.

Description to the photo:

1. Pack DLV/LW1 dagger. Photo credit T.Wittmann
    2. Eickhorn DLV/LW1 dagger. Photo credit P.Hogle
    3. Scabard tip 2 segments, from Luftwaffe dagger M35 on brackets. Photo credit from P.Hogle.
    4. Dagger DLV M34. Photo credit Herman Historiсa.
    5. Late alluminium Luftwaffe dagger M35 with scabbard onDlv/lw1Dlv/lw1Dlv/lw1Dlv/lw1Dlv/lw1 brackets. Photo credit Privat collection.

If admin's don't mind, I would post a link to the group on FB.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dlv/lw1
    P
    Many

I would encourage you the same to post a link to the WRF as well on the facebook site, then we could agree.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry, I do not see any problems posting a link to the WRF website in my group. Since the information that I receive here and on other forums allows me to learn and learn new things. Even if you do not publish my link, I am honored to be a member of the community of this and other specialized forums. In any case, tomorrow in the group, there will be a publication with a link to the forums.

Maybe I've not interpreted it correctly or missed it, but I think there should be a separate category for the last type of these daggers that was manufactured. Those being the ones with plated hilt fittings made of zinc, and steel for the scabbards. Best Regards, Fred

?

Fred, I'm sorry I didn't understand what kind of daggers you are talking about. In this topic, I wrote about a dagger that many call a transitional from DLV to LW1. In my opinion, this is not true. I believe that these daggers appeared due to the fact that manufacturers did not have time to fulfill the order on their own and purchased components from third-party contractors. And since these subcontractors were small and their technical capabilities were worse, we see the attachment of the scabbard fittings on the brackets. The reasons for this in detail and with examples, I tried to describe the first post. Or because of my English, I misunderstood you.

Yes, I think that it just seems to be a misunderstanding (although for myself I would have probably used "intermediate" instead of late for the aluminum types.) Best Regards, Fred