Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gravity knife authentic or fake?

Article about: Hello all just wanted to see what people think about this gravity knife I came across for sale it’s not very expensive so I wonder if it’s actually authentic. Any information you could p

Default Gravity knife authentic or fake?

Hello all just wanted to see what people think about this gravity knife I came across for sale it’s not very expensive so I wonder if it’s actually authentic. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gravity knife authentic or fake?   Gravity knife authentic or fake?  

Gravity knife authentic or fake?   Gravity knife authentic or fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gravity knife authentic or fake?
    P
    Many

?

I don't recall ever seeing a re-traction 'Arrow', the metal square piece or R.B Number on these, but, I don't collect these either..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gravity knife authentic or fake?  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Unfortunately it is a modern replica

Hi G ...there are RBNR examples that have the retraction arrow ...but on this example...the arrow head looks kind of fat compared other more tailored arrowheads.

Not sure of the arrow head or the whole Gravity knife and would wait for further comments.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi G ...there are RBNR examples that have the retraction arrow ...but on this example...the arrow head looks kind of fat compared other more tailored arrowheads.

Not sure of the arrow head or the whole Gravity knife and would wait for further comments.

Regards Larry
    Thanks Larry ! Rather than just condemning it without justification, I added my proverbial two cents to the mix, good to know, and I'm sure others may learn from this thread as well, G

Any idea on what it might be worth?

?

It is a replica as shown here: Sold on AtTheFront: WWII German Paratrooper Gravity Knife

They sell for $125.00
    Last edited by Rossi; 05-04-2022 at 04:20 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Sometimes things just don't 'look right' and for me this is one of them. Too clean, odd markings - it looks as though it was made yesterday and I wouldn't buy it.

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    It is a replica as shown here: Sold on AtTheFront: WWII German Paratrooper Gravity Knife

They sell for $125.00
    Great information Kirk !

New run (2020) of reproduction of the "gravity knife" carried by German Flying personnel, including Paratroopers (Fallschirmjäger) in WWII. Officially known as the Fliegerkappmesser (Fliers folding knife) these were designed as a general purpose survival/ utility knife for pilots, air crew and paratroopers. There were two main variants, the early "Type 1" which did not break down, and the "Type 2" that one could disassemble and trouble shoot if it became jammed. Our reproductions are of the latter which is more popular with collectors.
    These are markedly improved over the previous models- these now have the correct steel pins on the handles, and the overall fit and finish is superior. However, the parts still will NOT interchange with originals.
    The blade slides into the handle (as opposed to folding like a pocket knife) and there is an awl designed to help untangle shroud lines. A U shaped swivel at the end allows a "dummy cord" to be attached. To open the blade, the thumb latch is unlocked and pushed forward while holding the knife point facing down- it is not spring loaded/ assisted- gravity alone operates the blade. Closing is the opposite.
    Markings: All of these have the same markings- RB Nr. 0/0561/0019. and serial number 612.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gravity knife authentic or fake?   Gravity knife authentic or fake?  

Gravity knife authentic or fake?   Gravity knife authentic or fake?  

Gravity knife authentic or fake?  

They are already tripping up new collectors, wait another 10 or 20 years with a bit of wear and patina and that will multiply. At the Front produce superior repros and some of their SS smocks and helmet covers are the best I've seen. No sure if they recognize or care about the potential for downstream fraudulent sales.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast