Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Gravity knife original? Just found at store

Article about: I just saw this now at a store and took some photos and really curious if it's original. They have 300 on it plus I get a discount. I never seen one in real life but price is to good to be t

?

Quote by weller View Post
    Perhaps we are still learning. Had my example a long time and really never paid much attention to the "stick bird". Here is a pic of mine. Slightly different than others.
    Please delete this posting. Had issue posting pic - thanks. Keep #29.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gravity knife original? Just found at store
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Larry I would think a transitional inspection mark based on the Imperial style. Bear in mind with the S84/98 bayonets the early Third Reich production 1934-37 have WaffenAmt marks with a semi closed imperial wing "stick bird". From 1938 the mark evolves into an open wing eagle. The general purpose utility knife (Gravity knife) was introduced in 1937 and in early production may well have had an early form of the "stick bird" and that would mirror what was happening with bayonet marks at the time. I am speculating a bit but it would seem logical.
    I do remember seeing a bird like this before on a gravity knife. I do not remember the outcome/consensus of the discussion and have spent the last 15 minutes searching but could not find the thread (if it was even on this forum). But your hypothesis makes logical sense.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

FNG
    ?

Thank you for looking that up. So this knife could be a early, early production one?

In fact the more I think about it, the type of stick eagle is probably more Weimar republic, than Imperial, which would make sense.

This is the point of a discussion where research needs to go deeper ...as what has been commonly found in the type of stick birds both 5 and 6 ...this " Weimar " type ...which I am not discounting ..but a comparable example should be found to help this thread.

Question : SMF has always used the common stick bird type ...and I would expect an obscure producer to possibly use the "Weimar " type..but SMF has always used the most common type.
    Did SMF misplace or did the punch worker accidentally put the die in his pocket after his shift? Sounds silly

SMF is known for this type as well as a few other Gravity knife producers ...why the change.

I also understand Andersons theory on the use on bayonet types...but the gravity knife is related to the Luftwaffe and those same stick birds are also found on some Luftwaffe daggers.

Thoughts ? ...Pudding ? Need proof.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4