Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hermann Göring's Wedding Sword

Article about: Hi guys... I just found the following info about the sword that was presented by the German Luftwaffe to Hermann Göring Except daggers Casberg created the individual sketches of edged weapon

Is the so called "Lindbergh presentation sword" really the Goring wedding sword?

Hermann Göring's Wedding Sword

The short answer is yes. Charles Lindbergh continues to get bad press and misinformation printed about him after his three visits to Germany between 1936 and 1939. The story on why he went is worth following up, but i won't go into it here. What I want to focus on is the incident of sword as seen in the photograph taken by a German government photographer. The date is 28 July 1936, and after being given a tour of Luftwaffe airfields, by German officials, Lindbergh and his wife (seen to his left) are hosted by Herman Goring at his Berlin mansion. It is there that like a man showing off his possessions, Goring shows Lindbergh the sword pictured, it is in fact his Wedding sword made by Eickhorn for his wedding on 10 April 1935.

This photo today is invariably described as "Lindbergh receiving a presentation sword from Goring". This is incorrect, he was merely asked to admire it. In fact a Life magazine article from 3 April 1939, recounts the 1936 meeting, saying "He (Goring) showed them his wonderful collection of swords". No mention of a presentation, of any sort. Lindbergh did get a presentation medal unexpectantly from Goring in his 1939 visit, and probably these two event have been confused.

In A.Scott Berg's biography "Lindbergh" he writes " Goring showed off his possessions including a fine sword. He handed it to Lindbergh to test, but Lindbergh courteously refused."

So there is no Lindbergh sword out there somewhere, just the same Wedding sword recovered from his secret treasure bunker in the Berchtesgaden in May 1945. The sword was stored with the artworks and other looted stuff, and became itself a souvenir of the platoon sergeant who was involved in shifting out the treasures. He shipped it back to the US, where it hung in his den for many years until Jim Atwood tracked him down and bought it.
    Atwood sold the Wedding Sword to George Canaday, and the rest of the story has been told before.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hermann Göring's Wedding Sword
    P
    Many

I was with a group of collector friends today, and the question arose as to what happened to the 2nd wedding sword (the lighter one).
    It was seized by the feds back in 1999, along with other Goering artifacts (such as the greatcoat & visor shown).
    Do the Feds still have it to this day?:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hermann Göring's Wedding Sword  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

May I also add another question to Mr. Stonemint's.
    Why did the Fed's take possession of Herman's item's?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Wolfe - Hardin as far as I know has the Blue tunic great coat as I had the fortune to almost press my face on the tall glass display case at a mid 90s Max Show.

The whereabouts of the Sword is unknown to me.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by AZPhil View Post

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, it is probably in a place just like this one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hermann Göring's Wedding Sword  

Quote by AZPhil View Post

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, it was apparently all purchased with proceeds from drug transactions.

Here is a video from the exhibition put on by the Feds:

YouTube

?

Thank you Sir for that info.
    Dated 2015 and It reads that "The artefacts" "will be sent to the Army History museum in Washington DC."
    We gotta get Smitty in on this and see if they are there!!!! Maybe he can get some of us backstage passes

Semper Fi
    Phil

Does anyone have close-up pics of the 2nd (lightweight) wedding sword?

?

DITTO on that request. I tried to stop the video to take closer look at that beautiful pommel to see what jewel the Hakenkreuz was made of but the PLAY button kept popping up in the center of it.

Pommel pic please??? and the Napoleon Bonaparte blade would be a nice touch also

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast