Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please

Article about: Dear all, I am interested in purchasing this dagger which is said to have belonged to Hauptmann Frank Liesendahl, Staffelkapitän of 10./J.G. 2. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures bu

Default Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please

Dear all,
    I am interested in purchasing this dagger which is said to have belonged to Hauptmann Frank Liesendahl, Staffelkapitän of 10./J.G. 2.
    Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures but this is all I have for now...
    Do you see any issues with it or with the dedication on the blade ?
    Maybe just a detail, but should there not be a dot right after the "10" in the unit name normally ?
    Thanks a lot in advance for your help
    Cheers
    Maiko

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please
    P
    Many

The dagger is fine and someone else will have to authenticate the dedication if it is a period application.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    The dagger is fine and someone else will have to authenticate the dedication if it is a period application.

Regards Larry
    To me its looks a lot like a laseretch.

Ger

?

The whole area around the ‘engraving’/etching appears to be quite freshly ground or polished back, as if to provide a clean surface to work on.

Gentlemen,
    Thanks a lot for your responses.

So, so far the dagger itself would be alright but the authenticity of the dedication on the blade would be questionable.
    I could obtain better pics of the blade which hopefully will change the verdict. Could you please have a close look at them and let me know your thoughts ?

I am not an expert but I have the feeling that the engraving was made using a mechanical tool rather than it was laser etched.
    Also, I do not think that the blade was freshly ground / polished back. On the contrary, it looks like the engraving has suffered from corrosion just like the blade itself at some places.
    I am not trying to contradict anyone of you. Again, I am not an expert. It is just that I hope your first impression was due to the quality of the first pics that, I must admit, were far from being excellent.

Sorry to insist but I really need to know before I make a decision.
    Thanks again and a great day to all of you
    Regards
    Maiko

As someone in the thread I opened on my 2nd Model dagger asked, what does the top of the crossguard look like?

An overall poor condition blade with severe signs of corosion/pitting (which has been removed). The markings appearing to be newer than the corrosion. For me this is a reject. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please   Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please  

Quote by DavidRF43 View Post
    As someone in the thread I opened on my 2nd Model dagger asked, what does the top of the crossguard look like?
    You did not have to open the dagger to view the top of the crossguard...thats not what I meant.
    see this thread here ...post #4..the first 2 photos shows the oak leaves decor

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    An overall poor condition blade with severe signs of corosion/pitting (which has been removed).
    Dear Fred and all,
    Well... I agree that the blade is not in a very good condition... Actually I must say that I am much more interested in the history of that dagger than in its overall condition.

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    The markings appearing to be newer than the corrosion.
    I am sorry to say that I do not agree with that statement. To me the engraving does look more or less as ancient as the blade itself. Please look closely at those spots where both the blade AND the engraving are corroded. Or is it that I am trying to convince myself ?
    Also, I am just wondering why a forger would pick a damaged blade which then would make the forgery easier to detect...
    No offense but I am asking again in case more people are willing to comment here.
    Thank you
    Regards
    Maiko

Quote by Maikowski View Post
    Dear Fred and all,
    Well... I agree that the blade is not in a very good condition... Actually I must say that I am much more interested in the history of that dagger than in its overall condition.

I am sorry to say that I do not agree with that statement. To me the engraving does look more or less as ancient as the blade itself. Please look closely at those spots where both the blade AND the engraving are corroded. Or is it that I am trying to convince myself ?
    Also, I am just wondering why a forger would pick a damaged blade which then would make the forgery easier to detect...
    No offense but I am asking again in case more people are willing to comment here.
    Thank you
    Regards
    Maiko
    Malko, Most regrettably I'm going to have to say that I'm sorry that I also have to disagree. My best guess being that after the lettering (with TR period factory examples they usually charged by the letter) is that it has been filled in with paint or a chemical treatment. Posted one of your images and some rusted steel chain links. When badly rusted and it's removed it leaves pitting which can be deep or shallow - that (very briefly) unless it's removed down to bare metal can be still active. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please   Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger with owner's name : Your opinion please  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast