Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co

Article about: I picked up this 2nd Model Luftwaffe dagger w/a maker's mark of A. Schuttelhofer & Co a while back, but haven't posted it to the forum yet, so though I'd throw it in to see what people t

Default Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co

I picked up this 2nd Model Luftwaffe dagger w/a maker's mark of A. Schuttelhofer & Co a while back, but haven't posted it to the forum yet, so though I'd throw it in to see what people thought.

I can take more pics if anyone would like more.

Cheers!

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co   Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co   Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co   Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co
    P
    Many

?

Hello.
    It seems correct. Wait for more opinions.
    Georgi.

Hi David ...greater photos will be needed to see if this is authentic. I say this because the flash you used gives the impression that this dagger looks like a post war Spanish made repro due to the artificial black antiquing seen on the fittings and the scabbard. It appears that a Arthur Schuttlehoffer blade was place in the grip.

I want to see better photos under indirect lighting conditions and also a photo of the top side of the crossguard showing the oakleaf design.
    Right now ..this dagger is junk repro until better photos can be posted.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, here are pictures in what I would call less harsh light that show the detail a bit more...well...in detail.

Hopefully these are more along what you were looking for.

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co   Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

Hi David thankyou for the better photos and there is some good news that the dagger is authentic ..yet the crossguard appears to be produced by WKC and the pommel may be either WKC or one generically used by other producers.

The combination of the fittings with " Asso " aka Arthur Schuttlehoffer ...in mot sure of and would wait for others to chime in as well since now better photos are provided..but the dagger is authentic from what I can see.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

ATK
    ?

I think it's look good. Nice find.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi David thankyou for the better photos and there is some good news that the dagger is authentic ..yet the crossguard appears to be produced by WKC and the pommel may be either WKC or one generically used by other producers.

The combination of the fittings with " Asso " aka Arthur Schuttlehoffer ...in mot sure of and would wait for others to chime in as well since now better photos are provided..but the dagger is authentic from what I can see.

Regards Larry
    Whew.

That's a relief....and I realized in looking back at the pictures I'd posted earlier vs the second set the lightning did make a rather dramatic difference in highlighting the areas you pointed out that looked like they may have been darker than they should have been...I may need to go back and re-photograph my SA dagger people had questions around in the same location...which oddly enough is one of the few rooms in our house my partner didn't have Hue lights installed in.

The biggest thing I had a concern over was the appearance of oak leaves on the scabbard after doing a quick comparison, comparing it to some other Luftwaffe daggers on sites like Epic Artifacts, but there is an A Schuttlehoffer on Lakeside which had the same pattern that mitigated my concerns more or less. 2nd Model Luftwaffe by A. Schuttelhofer | Lakesidetrader

?

Hello again. This dagger is not quite an exact match to the Lakesidetrader dagger and there are no leaves shown on the cross guard. Your dagger is in better condition. You should look at more examples and compare the scabbard and the ring above the crossguard, which is not visible in the pictures. I think generic parts are used on these daggers and there may be differences between examples.
    Regards Georgi.

Quote by georgi View Post
    Hello again. This dagger is not quite an exact match to the Lakesidetrader dagger and there are no leaves shown on the cross guard. Your dagger is in better condition. You should look at more examples and compare the scabbard and the ring above the crossguard, which is not visible in the pictures. I think generic parts are used on these daggers and there may be differences between examples.
    Regards Georgi.

Yeah, I noticed that on Lakeside they don't show the top of the crossguard in a lot of the Luftwaffe daggers, which seems odd...as to the scabbard, when I was looking last night, there seemed to be 2 patterns I saw that were the most common; The one on the scabbard I have (with there veins off the middle line) and then ones with a solid line and no veins off it.

One thing Lakeside did say I thought was interesting is that Schuttelhofer model daggers are rare?

There is one of the pics that shows the ring above the cross guard, but only a peek of it as the portapee is tied over it and I didn't want to try to move it overly much as it's frayed as it is, but you can see the oak leaf pattern on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co  

?

Hi David.
    Lakesidetrader has several examples. The ring above the cross guard is also shown. Some examples are shown as ASSO others as Schuttelhofer. The main difference I see with the scabbards on these examples is the scabbard throat screws. I don't know which option is correct. You can look at which is the most common, but these are details. Your dagger is better than shown. Here is a picture of the ring above the cross guard that I found in my reference book.
    Regards Georgi.Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast