Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model

Article about: Hello, I present this dagger of the Luftwaffe made by WKC , I put it in a frame with a few more objects ... I know WKC made a lot of parts for these daggers, can you tell me if everything se

After further research and a quote from Tom Wittmanns Luftwaffe reference....

( Quote : The most commonly found grip wires we be of a springy textured aluminum.
    Contrary to some references , twisted brass, silver , copper and aluminum wire material were also used distinctively be certain makers.
    In general the larger producers such as Eickhorn, SMF, Weyersburg, and WKC used the springy aluminum wire .
    Alcoso, EF Horster, and Ernst pack used both, while other smaller producers such as Klaas, Herder, Wingen and Schuttlehoffer and others are found with various types of twisted wire,..no doubt representing ( what was on hand at the time )
    ( End Quote Tom Wittmann pg 160. )

The key wording " what was on hand at the time " should not be ignored under certain production circumstances for completion of a dagger assembly. Never say never in this hobby as anything is possible and WKC as Danny has pointed out also were a quite large business that offered many services and a variety of edged weapon types.

Some other producer daggers and swords were sent to WKC for repairs or reissue with a WKC name.
    The safe bet is to research and compare other WKC types and fittings.

Danny can allude to the fact the many varied fittings used on Heer dagger assembly from many other producers. IMO I dont feel it was as intense with Luftwaffe daggers as it was with Heer daggers...but when a need for fittings to finish a dagger or sword ..phone calls and orders were made to other producers and sub contractors.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model
    P
    Many

?

I just saw in the magnificent collection of Petercollector, the same luftwaffe dagger with the same crossguard and the same wire grip (besides no one wondered about this wire at that time ..)
    So that's the third identical dagger that I can see. It's not much it's true but it may mean that it is less common since it would be an early version (As said by Petercollector).

It should also be specified that this book of Tom Wittmann dates from 1997 may be there have been updates since, i don't know ???

?

It is an early piece and if you study the different types of gripwire you can notice there are many differt types of double twisted wire. I have observed that this particular type is typical for the early WKC 2nd models.

Just as with the Wittmann book on army daggers, there have been many new discoveries in the last 25 years. This is one of them. 15 years ago I probably would have said: WKC only used the springy aluminum wire Since then I have seen a dozen with this double twisted wire and have the same variant in my collection as well. Here are a few, all by WKC, with exactly the same configuration and gripwire (yours included).

Regards
    Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model   Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model  

Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model   Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model  

?

I thought the wiregrip was made of brass but actually no...
    With this discussion I could not resist cleaning it with a toothbrush gently and it looks like it is plated silver or silver, I would not know how to say ...

Luftwaffe dagger 2nd Model

?

Thanks for the extra picture. So now we know the examples shown above have silvered wire with very dark patina. The silvering matches the early production period.

Regards
    Danny

?

Especially a big thank you to you Danny for taking the time to answer and explain things.
    Best regards
    Cédric.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2