Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Dagger Portepee

Article about: Hi all, My dagger came with what I believe to be a bad portepee (no.1). Is that the case? I've picked up this other portepee from a good friend (no.2) which I believe to be good. Am I correc

?

Default Luftwaffe Dagger Portepee

Hi all,

My dagger came with what I think is likely a bad portepee (no.1) ??

I've picked up this other portepee from a good friend (no.2) which I believe to be good. Am I correct in this assumption?

Authenticating portepees seems quite difficult as a few of the copies look very good.

Portepee no.1:

Luftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger Portepee

Kind regards

Will

- - ------- - -

Portepee no.2:

Luftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger Portepee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Dagger Portepee
    P
    Many

?

Anyone??

?

Put both the items to your lips. If one feels cold to the touch it is a good one. I agree with you that the first one looks more plastic.

From the small photos of the second one, I would prefer that one to the first.
    If you look closely at the weave of an original, you will see that there is more than one type of "strand" used.
    Some are multiple strands wrapped together, and some are individual strands wrapped separately, and then used in multiples.
    I don't believe I see that on the first example posted. I can see it on the second example.
    Here is an original to compare. It is a Kriegsmarine portepee, but the construction of the "fittings" should be the same.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks for the replies. Both are cold to the touch.

Ralph @rbminis - thanks for the detailed write-up and explanation. From your post I think that Portepee no. 1 is likely not period produced. Close-up pictures:
    Luftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger Portepee

I've seen some that are very similar to this portepee described as "East German" produced. Perhaps this explains why it seems to me that is has been made of quality materials, but is different to the original period pieces.

?

Portepee no. 2 to me seems original and is now on the dagger.
    Luftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger PortepeeLuftwaffe Dagger Portepee

?

No 1 fake
    No 2 Original

this was a very easy one gents

Ger