Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!

Article about: Hi all, I know what you're thinking, it's this PNW guy again with yet another question. I don't know why, maybe it's the global pandemic, but everyone seems to be offering me Third Reich ite

Default Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!

Hi all,

I know what you're thinking, it's this PNW guy again with yet another question. I don't know why, maybe it's the global pandemic, but everyone seems to be offering me Third Reich items all at once.

This time I'm being offered a Luftwaffe dagger. It's being sold by a woman who is liquidating the estate of her late uncle. I apologize for the image quality, she says it's the best she can do.

Bottom line, I'm no expert on these daggers, not by a long shot. Some aspects look good to me based on researching threads here and elsewhere on the web, but the logo looks suspect to me, but perhaps I was looking at early daggers/swords and this is a later model? Like I said, I really wouldn't know.

I'm hoping some of you will be able to tell be if this is the real deal or if I should pass and move on! Thanks a million. Joining this forum is a step I should have taken years ago.

-Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!   Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!  

Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!   Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!  

Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!   Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!
    P
    Many

Hi Sam..could you post one more photo and would like to see the top of the crossguard showing the oakleaf relief.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Sam..could you post one more photo and would like to see the top of the crossguard showing the oakleaf relief.
    Hi Larry, I've reached out to the seller for more photos with better lighting. We'll see if she comes through. Hopefully sooner than later.

-Sam

Dagger looks to be an original with its typical to SMF style of crossguard eagle & pommel. Untypical to SMF are the style of oakleaves on the scabbard which to me means that the scabbard has been switched in the past, When? who knows. I have added a picture of my SMF 2nd patt as an example. Don't worry about the gold swastika on mine not all of them had it. Regards, Paul

Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!

Nice example Paul ...... and also shows typical harder adherence of the gold gilt on the Pommel swastika ..I trait known to SMF ..where as most other producers process seemed to wear off quicker.

Its rare sometimes we do see this happen to SMF Luft daggers but not often.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Dagger looks to be an original with its typical to SMF style of crossguard eagle & pommel. Untypical to SMF are the style of oakleaves on the scabbard which to me means that the scabbard has been switched in the past, When? who knows. I have added a picture of my SMF 2nd patt as an example. Don't worry about the gold swastika on mine not all of them had it. Regards, Paul
    Hi Paul, Great. Thank you for your input and the photo, a beautiful example and blade. Not having much experience with this type of dagger, does having a mismatched scabbard hurt the value like it would in the bayonet realm? Thanks again for your help!

-Sam

Hi Sam, imo having amiss matched scabbard would affect the value. Regards, Paul.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Larry, for what it's worth, here is the requested close up photo up the cross guard. Curious to hear what you think. Thanks!

-Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!   Luftwaffe Dagger by SMF Solingen - Opinions needed!  

I agree also with Paul..but always for the data base I like to have these details added to the threads .
    Nice SMF

Regards Larry

?

As these 2nd type Luft are not very hard to find i would not buy a non textbook one with an average quality blade.
    Better pay a bit more for a full textbook one, if you ever feel the need for an upgrade in the future the textbook one will be much more sought for, and easier to trade or sell.

Best
    Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast