Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.

Article about: Sometimes your searching for something and you come by chance across a gem that has been on the wishlist for quite some years. Arriving just before Christmas its my pricvate present for unde

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I think my contribution was more then sufficient!!
    Rules and regulations but what do YOU think the Ch.A.W stands for.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.
    P
    Many

Not to intrude if a specific answer/respondent is needed, but why not for the present moment what Ger suggested:

Quote by gerrit View Post
    .................. most likely Chromolit-Besteck Fabrik Arthur Wingen, and with Waffen-Loesche as the distributer...............
    Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    Here's my last shot at it, Carinhall voluntary guard - Carinhall Anbieten Wache - Ch.A.W
    This makes zero sense in German.

"Anbieten" is a verb and it means to offer, provide, supply, present etc.

?

Just a note of thanks! I have collected Edged Daggers and Swords for years and am appreciative of the pursuit of knowledge and information shared in this thread. Wish I could be more assistance but wanted to thank the members who have dedicated time and energy here. Pretty blessed I found the WRF! Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    Rules and regulations but what do YOU think the Ch.A.W stands for.
    This is what the members here are trying to figure out constructively ..please keep it civil !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Tomaz and others. We need to think laterally as to other possible meanings of the letters. Fred regarding your post #152, I think there are equally good reasons why Ch.A.W. may NOT mean Chromolit Arthur Wingen. See my post #128 and 132.

What I'm wondering about, like Tomaz is, does the "Ch" refer to a geographic location. Similar to you can see a "P" Gau mark on the crossbar of a SA dagger ? It may not be Carinhall, but what other possibilities might it be?

Rossi, I think we are all doing something special here. This knife is being subjected to a scholarly review like it has never been through before, anywhere. Theories are floated and arguments for and against have been aired (occasionally with emotion). Old traditional views are being challenged and alternatives are being explored. The truth is still far from clear and we welcome the contribution of new evidence (documentary or photographic) from any source.

?

I am digging with fellow blade guys nationwide I know but not uncovering anything new that has already been shared here. I have done as much research as I can on my own and will attempt to contribute if I can unearth anything of greater value. I have always wanted one of these but frankly the price tag with limited historical provenance has always kept money in my pocket.

This is what I have always heard but could never get the data to back it up. Based on Ger’s Example here is what I would have stated initially when the thread started based on my limited knowledge of these blades:

Goring formed a forestry service to manage Luftwaffe forestry reserves close to air force locations and also his own hunting estates such as Carenhall. I thought these were rarer sidearms that were worn by his small forestry organization. They resemble a bayonet but they are more of a hunting knife or parade sidearm. With Ger’s having the Waffen Loesche Berlin and reverse side stamped CH.A.W, the spine of the blade is stamped with a capital H. I thought in the past his was the only example of the authentic & correct markings you will find on an original example. There are many unmarked examples as well. We’re they available to public? Anyway that is what I learned over the years. Doubtful based on knowledge discussed here but maybe something will be unearthed. I hope so! Got to be out there.
    Last edited by Rossi; 01-11-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Thank you Tomaz and others. We need to think laterally as to other possible meanings of the letters. Fred regarding your post #152, I think there are equally good reasons why Ch.A.W. may NOT mean Chromolit Arthur Wingen. See my post #128 and 132.

What I'm wondering about, like Tomaz is, does the "Ch" refer to a geographic location. Similar to you can see a "P" Gau mark on the crossbar of a SA dagger ? It may not be Carinhall, but what other possibilities might it be?
    Anderson, I read the posts and it could be something else - but what is it? Totally unrelated to this thread for the longest time there was a debate about a maker mark on a service bayonet by Jetter & Scheerer. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth with some tentative ideas that were not that unreasonable. Finally after years, a period source that had been mislabeled in the archives was found that solved the mystery which caught everybody off guard because the commercial trade name was Aesculap that was not even a Solingen maker. My point being that quite a few rabbit holes were looked at with all of them being wrong, but with the mystery solved all of the pieces of the puzzle fell into place. And right now the factors that IMO seem to have the best chance seems to be Chromlit/Arthur Wingen based on the catalogs and daggers that they made. So it could have some other meaning - but right now some of the different rabbit holes we've been down do not seem to be a good fit. Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 01-11-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo correction

I take your point Fred and agree, if we could only lay our hands on a period catalogue from Chromolit and Waffen-Loesche the matter may be cleared up very quickly. So that is a priority rabbit hole. Finding such a document may be difficult, but probably not impossible. Like your example, quite possibly are in some archive somewhere, unnoticed. Ger's Robt.Klaas catalogue (see the HJ forum) shows how valuable these documents can be in solving long arguments.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast