Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched Model 2 dagger - Rare original or fake? (Ignore previous thread)

Article about: Hello all, Attached are the photos of Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched/ engraved Model 2 dagger. Please let me know if this is original or an extravagant fake. The dagger appears to be close

?

Default Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched Model 2 dagger - Rare original or fake? (Ignore previous thread)

Hello all,
    Attached are the photos of Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched/ engraved Model 2 dagger.
    Please let me know if this is original or an extravagant fake. The dagger appears to be close to pristine condition, with some history attached to it.

Does it warrant a ~ $2000 price tag?

Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched Model 2 dagger - Rare original or fake? (Ignore previous thread)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paul Weyersberg Luftwaffe Etched Model 2 dagger - Rare original or fake? (Ignore previous thread)
    P
    Many

Radnus,

If memory serves me correctly, Paul Weyersberg never produced 2nd pattern Luftwaffe "Etched" daggers. They did produce Luft daggers but not etched...

Reading and RESEARCH are your friends...

Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...

Smitty

Where is this one being offered??

?

I have asked for several more closeups. It is Helios Auctions.

the forum search engine is most excellent with just a few descriptive words..many threads will appear. I encourage the use of the forum engine for comparison of other type examples which Moderator Smitty has pointed out.

Please use the forum search engine...its a wealth of information.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Several alarm bells would ring for me. I know as far as bayonets are concerned, Paul Weyersberg did not offer a range of remembrance etchings during the TR period. Secondly the etching itself is poorly positioned within the borders. There should always be a gap between the decorative features and the border line.
    The attached tag is interesting. Are we believe the pilot was wearing his dagger during the flight and successfully exited his doomed aircraft without catching it on something while bailing out? Must have been a regulation against that!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    ......The attached tag is interesting. Are we believe the pilot was wearing his dagger during the flight and successfully exited his doomed aircraft without catching it on something while bailing out? Must have been a regulation against that!
    LoL...that was my thought when seeing this photo. A classic example of hyping.

Unless of course the information as to what happened to the pilot "during" the war was provided by the family/soldier himself when it was sold post war.....but that is just as far fetched....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

A close friend of mine who served in the 90th Texas Oklahoma Division and on actual D Day invasion, told me the 2nd model Luft shown to me in his home, came out of a down aircraft in the Normandy area.

A classic example of buy the item not the story BUT in this case NEITHER, as Anderson has brought up,, you have to think about this just a little,,, Do you honestly think that a pilot or a crewmember who mind you will most likely be wearing a flight suit and not their dress uniform (but it could be possible I guess) and then strap their Luftwaffe dagger to their side well knowing that any cockpit is tightly cramped and things that hang off bodies will most likely get snagged on seat buckles or harnesses actually survive? Even if the dagger was worn under the flight suit, it would be bulky and awkward... And I doubt if the pilot had to bail out that the dagger would remain intact due to the prop blast and the sheer force of exiting an aircraft in flight. Ask anyone who has parachuted from an aircraft the sheer force that is pulled on the body.. It is very forceful...

This is going to be a very expensive hard lesson learned for those who pursue this dagger because of the tag story as well as the fact that it is fake..

Caveat Emptor..

Smitty

Yep that story is a little far fetched, I doubt very much a pilot would want a dagger rattling around the cockpit.

The persuasive power of the hand written tag. Without provenance it seems to convey provenance. I could attach one saying "Recovered from the crashed aircraft flown by Rudolf Hess to Scotland, 10 May 1941" and someone would believe it. Real documents are needed to convey provenance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast